Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Colorado High

We're back from Colorado, and I still can't wipe this silly grin off my face.  It was SO cool, both literally and figuratively.  We flew from Dallas to Aspen via Denver with no hitches (United), arriving there about 1 pm.  Since our hotel check-in wasn't until 4, we decided to make the drive to Independence Pass, along the way passing snowdrifts on the side of the road still 12' high:


There was a photo spot a few hundred yards from the parking lot and I made a beeline for it....and discovered the thin mountain air.  Within 50 yards I began to feel dizzy, and recognizing what it was, stopped in my tracks and regained my balance, then slowed my pace.  I (K too) had a mild headache the rest of the day, but after that we were sufficiently acclimated.  Isn't this view breathtaking?....


All along the drive up we kept passing snow runoff headed towards the Roaring Fork River:


We eventually found a turnoff where we could check out a small tributary up close and personal.  That's where K dipped her foot in the river and pronounced it freezing cold.  Umm....Lover....it's snowmelt!  This was of interest to us as 2 days later we had reservations on a whitewater rafting trip down the Upper Roaring Fork.



Yes Sweetie, you...in there!

Later that day we checked in to our room at the Viceroy at Snowmass (more on that in another post), then went out for a nice meal and at 9 pm, a walking Ghost Tour of Aspen.  It was fun, and the only time all weekend that we had to wear our jackets.  The rest of the time it was cool, but sunny and calm.  (Pixel Peeper...nightimes, low 50's; daytime, upper 70's.)

The next day we drove to Aspen Highlands, then took the shuttle to Maroon Bells, probably the single most-photographed mountain(s) in all of Colorado:


We hiked around the lake towards the mountain, seeing deer and a beaver dam along the way, finally turning back as the last bus of the day left at 5 pm and we didn't dare miss it.

That's enough for now.  I'll share more later.  :)

S

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a real pretty part of the state.

    f

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - great pictures! I can almost feel the clear, crisp air, and that blue sky looks absolutely gorgeous. I believe you win on the scenery, but I get points on the temperature... one day, we had a high of 64º. My father-in-law actually turned on the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it looks like heaven! Just the idea of cool air sounds perfect right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, what fun!! and such lovely country...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn nice adventure. Rafting in snowmelt makes my heart skip a beat in a very bad way.

    Love the pics man.

    Colorado is amazing.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  6. The single most greatest vacation of my life!

    ReplyDelete