Thursday, September 29, 2011

Easy day ahead

Today will be a blow-off day if there ever was one.  Today from 9am to 1pm I'm attending a class explaining the new IRC (International Residential Code) that goes into effect soon.  Every few years the deadwood engineers at the building code writing board update things, which is just an exercise they go through to show their bosses they actually DO something that's worth a paycheck.  


If you read the code you'd wonder if they had personally ever built even so much as a dog house.  Their college textbooks might have said XX, but no one ever tried to sync the world of academia with the real world we live in.  It's a farce!  Building inspectors will tell you their inspections are based on their interpretation of the code, and that's what causes problems for builders.   One inspector's interpretation will often not match another inspector's interpretation.  One inspector requires something, another prohibits it.  They're pretty much making it up as they go along.  (Another reason houses cost so much.)


Oh well.  I'll sit through their class, nod and smile, and eat the lunch provided.  It's supposed to be 99 degrees again today, and I'll be in a cool classroom.  Could be worse.  ;)


S

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most building inspectors are engineers. Engineers are a special class of people...(I work with engineers):

    A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!" The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude! "The pastor said, "Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him."

    "Hi, George. Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

    The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind firefighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."

    The group was silent for a moment.

    The pastor said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

    The doctor said, "Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."

    The engineer said, "Why can't these guys play at night?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! That makes perfect sense to me. I must have a little engineer in me. ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete