Monday, September 26, 2011

Social dysfunction

What is it with people these days?  They seem to have a difficult time looking you in the eye, shaking your hand, or speaking real words in your general direction.  A friend's daughter is beginning her Masters program at Penn State....except she lives in Dallas.  It's all online.  No face-to-face interaction required. 


I read recently about the all-out war taking place between the airlines who covet their full-fare business travelers and the teleconferencing movement where people can hold meetings via big screen TV's a world apart and dispense with travel all-together.  Does this count as face-to-face interaction?  (I'm inclined to give it a thumbs down.) 


I called a vendor today to say I had a set of blueprints for him to come pick up for a bid.  He said, "Can't you just send me the pdf file?"  Ummm...NO!  I want you to drag your fat ass to my office and sit down in front of me where I can point out several peculiarities of the plan and explain how I want it handled.  Dammit, I want some face-to-face interaction.


Today I sent my stonemason to my daughter and SIL's house to reface their den fireplace.  Donnie kept sending me questions via text message, and after a few text replies I just said to hell with it and called him.  It would have taken 15 minutes to text all we said back and forth, but 30 seconds to just say it over the phone.  I fail to see anything "efficient" about text messaging.  I see it as an excuse to NOT have any face-to-face interaction.  I don't get it.


The idea of the computer geek with the pasty complexion living, going to school, and later working out of Mama's basement might be more real than imaginary.  A "friend" is just a thumbnail photo and a 25 word bio.  If it wasn't for online dating services I suspect the birth rate would drop to zero.  (They do require them to eventually meet face-to-face, don't they?  As in a real "date"?)  Seems like a pretty dismal way to live.


S

4 comments:

  1. There are pros and cons to everything. I'm all about meeting in person. And I'm all about classroom time for education! Perhaps some of Masters program courses are appropriate online. But looking back at my time in my graduate studies at University of LaVerne in my Management class I was the only white American chica in a class of 8. The other seven were doctor's from all over the planet (a breast cancer surgeon from Bejing, a general practioner from Bankok, a Kinesiologist from Korea, a physician from Mongolia, and two MD's from...I don't rememmber, Middle East? And there was one guy, a physical therapist in my class, an American. Talk about an amazing education that class was on discussing management theory and it was a very difficult class. I will never forget it. You will never have that experience sitting at a keyboard in your home with facebook screen in the background while studying for....whatever it is you want to be when you grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fail to see anything "efficient" about text messaging.

    I'm lost on that one as well. My son was upset that his cell phone service went down for some reason a couple of weeks ago making it impossible to text his girlfriend. I just suggested using the house landline and he looked at me like I was crazy.

    Of course, I have a similar battle with my wife over just keeping the landline phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would comment but I think I'll just text ya instead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all the mediums but my favorite is in person although I must confess my 3d persona is pretty wacky...

    ReplyDelete