Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Getting closer

As soon as I walked out the door this morning I smelled it....smoke.  Until now all traces of the wildfires raging around Texas have been far enough away that they were only news items, nothing you could see or touch or smell.   No more.  It was well before first light when I went out so I couldn't actually see any haze in the air, but the smell was strong.


Where's a hurricane when you need one?  Actually what we need is a good soaking tropical storm, hopefully a notch shy of being a full-fledged hurricane.  Anything spinning up out in the Gulf of Mexico I haven't heard about?  Our wildfires are so large and out of control I'm not sure they can be stopped by anything but a huge storm.  They're bringing in firefighters from as far away as Alaska and they haven't made a dent it the fires yet.  It's bad.


S

2 comments:

  1. The hurricane didn't entirely quench our wildfire in the dismal swamp....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I could deal with a tropical storm. Tropical storm Lee was suppose to bring several days of rain to my area but it wimped out and slide westward. We got a couple of showers and then zip.

    ReplyDelete