Friday, December 23, 2011

I liked the old way better

It never really dawned on me until now how much my holiday plans revolved around my dearly departed dog, Emma Belle.  Every major holiday....that would be the Big Three: Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas....K and I drove the 75 miles to spend the day with her parents.  We timed things so that we could make the round-trip drive and visit and still be back home within 6, maybe 7 hours.   I just didn't want to make Emma "hold it" longer than that.  Now we no longer have that time constraint.  It feels weird.


This evening my family will assemble at my daughter Erica's home to have our Christmas.  With married daughters come dual families (in-laws) for them to spend time with, so I just get in line and take my turn.  I'm not real picky.


For that matter, and I write about this every year, I'm not a "Christmas" person.  I'm just not.  It's just weeks and weeks of going to places I don't want to go to, seeing people I don't want to see, doing things I don't want to do....but of course I do it anyway because it's "Christmas".  With my family we agreed years ago to just have gifts for the kids, but not the adults.  We're all relatively affluent and can just go out and buy what we want/need, so please, spare me another shirt.  As for K and I, she's getting a new Kindle Fire and I'm inheriting her almost-new old-style Kindle.  Fine with me.  (It's OK, it's not a secret.)


Shame we can't just all sit down and think about why we celebrate Christmas and forget about all the hoopla that its become.  And personally, I'll think about how blessed I am and about my late Emma Belle and how much fun she made my life for all those years. 


Merry Christmas, everyone, and Happy Birthday Jesus.  And a special Merry Christmas to you, too, Miss Belle.


S

7 comments:

  1. I hope that the pain of losing your precious Emma will fade and be replaced by all the fun and loving memories that you two shared. I like to think that there's a Pantheon of special dogs up there and your Emma is running around as frisky as a puppy.
    I know that you and K will be feeling loss this Christmas but I can't help wishing you a Merry Christmas anyway.

    Steve
    aka Fellow Dog Enthusiast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephen. I know she's happier and pain-free now, and that's what I want for her. For us, losing a loved one is tough, but that's the way life works, like it or not.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes we need such holidays to "force" us to do things we would otherwise hesitate to do, like visit with relatives. Try to see it positively... you won't see most of them for a whole year again! lol

    I'll be at my daughter's for Christmas Eve, as I am every year. Her new in-laws (who I like) will also be there, then the adults visit me on the 25th when the kids will be with their dad and his family. On our second Christmas day (26th... yes, it's also a holiday), my son comes for dinner with his girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something tells me there's a puppy in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, SWMBO and I will be at her daughter's house for Christmas Eve, as usual. She has made a tradition of her steak and lobster dinner on that one night. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first holiday so soon after losing a loved one (human or animal) is difficult. I feel for you.

    I am very much a Christmas person and absolutely love the season. Although I have become somewhat cynical about the stress and "business" it has become, I look forward to "my" Christmas. Yes, there are presents, and lots of cooking and preparations, and I'm busy - but I don't do anything I don't want to. One Christmas party, a few gifts that are not followed by regrets when the bill comes, food, quiet time, relaxation. I'm always a little sad when it's over.

    Enjoy your family and the time spent with them. Have fun with your Kindles! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your thoughst, everyone. And Bruce....THAT'S my kind of Christmas feast, Yummmm. ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete