Friday, December 30, 2011

Trader Joe's is coming!

I don't know why that title deserves an exclamation point, but according to everyone familiar with Trader Joe's it's at the very pinnacle of the grocery store pyramid, so I'll go along, too.  I know my friend Bruce is posting regular updates on the progress of the Trader Joe's being built in his hometown in AZ and is just giddy with anticipation.  K spent years in California when she was in the Navy saving the rest of us from the scourge of creeping communism and swears TJ's (as I'll hereafter refer to it) is indeed special.


We got the word yesterday that TJ's is opening 2 stores in the Dallas area, one being in Plano just 2 miles from where we live.  I hope they're not over-hyping it to the point it opens and people just yawn.  I think that's what happened when they opened In and Out Burgers in Dallas.  The lines were huge at first, but then people decided it was just another burger.  (Mooyah's has better ones.)  Right now Central Market and Market Street are our prefered specialty "foodie" grocers.  It's gonna be interesting when they all go head-to-head in a few months.


Today is the first of 4 holiday days off for K.  For me, considering how little I have to do at work right now, this will make it number 8 of 11 days off.  If I'd started learning a foreign language last Friday I could be fluent in it by the time I go back to work next Tuesday.  Another missed opportunity.  Darn!


Have a great weekend everyone.  :)


S

5 comments:

  1. Ah, lucky you, you'll love TJ's!

    Now 'bout burgers. The other day I was out doing some post Christmas stuff and my stomach was growling as I spotted In 'n' Out Burger. So I went in and had a Double Double. Towards evening I asked SWMBO what we had planned for dinner. She said "Oh, I think cheeseburgers." As she looked at me she said "that's what you had for lunch, wasn't it?" I admitted it but said I'd love to have one of her cheeseburgers, which are the best I've ever had anywhere. So she fixed them and you know what? It was still the best, by far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a TJ's near us and it's always crowded. They sell items you can't get at other places. I wouldn't suggest buying all of your groceries there, but we have a lot of fun prowling around. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, we got one this year and I haven't been in yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are getting a Trader Joe's, too! Well, by "we" I mean Naples, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive from us. But I'm still so very excited!

    Trader Joe's is famous for its inexpensive Charles Shaw wine - known as "two buck chuck" (though by now it might be three bucks). I can't wait to make a road trip next month and try it. You are so lucky to get one so close to you.

    Trader Joe's is owned by Germans - the same people who own Aldi, the small, discount, bare-bones grocery stores.

    Enjoy your time off. Wish I were so lucky. My assistant just went out on maternity leave, so I won't be able to take any time off for about two more months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year's! I hope it is a kind one to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete