Sunday, December 18, 2011

What a difference a day makes

Friday evening, our normal "date night", we celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Seasons 52.  Crab and shrimp stuffed mushrooms, fillet cooked just right, veggies, all advertised to be very calorie-conscious.  Then yesterday I gave back all my good eating habits and then some.  For lunch K and I split a BLT w/avocado pannini, then the rest of the day I had ice cream, 2 hot dogs, chips, peanuts, more ice cream, and several cokes.  Ugh!  It was one of those "do as I say, kids, not as I do" days.


Poor Emma Belle can't buy a break.  She's pretty much gotten over her episode with pancreatitis, but now she has a bum leg.  I think she jumped off the chair where she sleeps and somehow jammed her shoulder/leg when she landed.  The symptoms are the same as they were a year or so back, and that's what we deduced happened then.  Not much I can do for her...it just heals itself over time.  Poor little mutt.  :(


I mentioned to K that the week before Christmas will be a blow-off week for sure.  Always is.  Productivity slumps to near-zero.  So what if employers were to make their employees this deal:  If they go the 3 or 4 or 6 months (TBD) before Christmas absence/tardy free, they can have the week of Christmas off. They would get to keep employees working full speed during normally productive times of the year, but lose very little actual work around Christmas.  Would you go for something like this?  Just another odd thought from my warped little brain.


Have a good day, y'all.


S

4 comments:

  1. I thinks it's a great idea that would reward workers for their productivity. And beneficial to the boss who doesn't get quality work during the Christmas season anyway. As Robert Redford once said to Paul Newman, "Keep thinking, Butch; it's what you're good at."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not? If there's marginal business, why stay open?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea would never happen in our industry (collections) because the end of the month is too important - and no way would they EVER give everyone a week off at the same time.

    I always take time off at Christmas anyway because we ALWAYS travel to NC to see the folks then. But I think it would be kind of fun to stay at work & be unproductive & paid for it :)

    P.S. I'm a legal assistant, not a collector, so I can afford to be slack since I don't have a bonus depending on my productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea so much, I might send you my resume!

    At my last job, the entire place shut down from just before Christmas until just after New Year's Day. The owner of the company paid us for it, too. I loved it.

    Not much of a chance of that happening now. It will be a very slow week between Christmas and New Year's, but since many of my peeps are taking off, I'll be the one getting stuck at work. Sigh. Wonder if I can just pour some Kahlua into my coffee at work?

    ReplyDelete