Sunday, December 11, 2011

No big screen TV for us

Our un-lucky streak is intact.  Once again K and I returned from her company Christmas party empty handed.  They always have drawings for some really delicious prizes like big screen TV's (70 inch!) and computers and blue ray's, but none of them have our numbers on them.  Ever.  (We already have a big screen TV, but there's always room for another bigger, better one.)  Oh well, it was still a good time, with plenty of great music and food and drink.  Truth be told, though, I wonder how many of the 1000 people there would be there if they didn't have those great prize give-aways at the end of the evening?


Some people thrive on being social butterflies.  I'm just not one of them.  I generally don't look forward to many....OK, most.... of the social events the season dictates, but of course I go anyway.  I know lots of people at work who I deal with professionally on a daily basis, but I have zero desire to pal around with them after-hours.  I'm very much a "low-profile" person. 


Remember what George Washington once said:  "Avoid entangling alliances".   'Ol George was talking about international relations when he said that, but I think it can apply to social alliances, too.  I just don't like getting too close to other people's daily dramas, and I don't want them in mine, either.  And frankly, most of them just aren't that interesting. Neither am I. 


Anybody else feel the same?


S

3 comments:

  1. I also avoid being immersed in peoples' daily dramas, especially when it isn't interesting, but the minutiae of other peoples' lives sure does give me fodder to write about. Most of my life, at least the last twenty years, I've been self employed so I don't have coworkers to deal with. But sometimes i miss the conversations and excuses to be judgmental. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather go out to dinner with a couple of good friends than any party event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our company cut out the Christmas party about two years after I didn't go anymore. I guess it just wasn't the same without me :-)

    ReplyDelete