Monday, September 17, 2012

All smiles today.... :)


I saw online an excerpt from The New Farmer's Almanac, specifically the upcoming winter and spring/summer weather forecasts.  Here's what it said about my area:

"The 2013 Almanac says that temperatures will be much colder this winter from the East Coast westward to a line from the Dakatos to Texas."  (Me)

"Snowfall will be above normal near the Great Salt Lake and in the areas from El Paso to Detroit to Virginia Beach."  (Me)

"Summer temperatures will be hotter that normal along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and in the Ohio Valley, but cooler than normal elsewhere."  (Me)

"Expect fewer tornadoes than in the past couple of years."

While any of us with a Oujia Board could make a similar forecast, somehow The New Farmer's Almanac people actually have a pretty good record doing this. 

I know most of you in the colder/snowier areas are cringing reading this, but for this Texas boy, snow is something rare and pretty and to be enjoyed.  Plus a decent winter kills bugs.  Bring it!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boy, that was quick:  The new iPhone 5 goes on sale this Friday, and already people are camping out at Apple stores to be first in line to get one.  So if they skipped work to camp out, how can they afford one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A decision I can live with:  Bro and I met Friday with a developer who would like for us to build (over a few years time) a number of medical re-hab centers.  It would involve us signing notes for about $8M each (gulp!), and lots of travel.  They would be all over Texas, and as bro does most of the office admin and I do operations, I would be the one to do most of the travel.  Like 5-days-a-week year 'round.

And the margins are tight, and there's a lot that can go wrong, too.  A few miscalculations and we might be working for nothing.

Nope, I've already resigned as president of our little family business (although I still own half the company), and right now we owe no one.  At my comfortable age, it's time to scale back, not gear up.  We're going to pass.

Another Monday.  Hold on, everyone.

S



8 comments:

  1. If the Almanac is correct, then I guess the Myans were wrong...good news!

    Glad you turned down the work and subsequent giant headaches....stick to your guns, you're retired. Remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like too risky of a project for someone who's retired.

    I don't like snow but I hope we do get more moisture this fall and winter. It was pretty depressing yesterday when I went to Saginaw Bay and the water had receded hundreds of yards because of the drought this summer.

    I don't know what the point of spending hundreds of dollars on a phone just because it's slightly thinner and smaller or whatever. I guess it's just people like to be the first to have something so they seem cool to their friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure would appreciate you leaving Virginia Beach out of the snowfall equation S! I am in Norfolk and we get whacked when they do....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Bobby....don't shoot the messenger.

    PT....I plan on working a little. That's why I say I'm "semi-retired", but this would be grueling. No thanks.

    Joe....No way I'm goin' to back down on retirement.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's hard to pass up an opportunity to do something you are good at and enjoy, but I think you made the right decision. The economy will improve eventually and I'm sure local opportunities will present themselves--if you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can send some of the snow our way also, and I can't say that I blame you for turning down the opportunity, it sounds like a lot of work when you are retired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to live in Buffalo. Sometimes I miss snow.

    But then I come to my senses.

    Congratulations on being in a position where you can pick and choose what you take on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ohio Valley was hotter than normal THIS year - I hope they don't mean we're going to be hotter than that! I want some snow this year, but not scads of it. Just enough so I can remember why I don't like snow :)

    ReplyDelete