Monday, September 24, 2012

"It's deja vu all over again"....

....At least that's what the legendary Yogi Berra would call it.  Only after I'd left the store did it dawn on me that I must be entering my second childhood.  I can just barely remember it, but I felt like the ultimate 1st grade stud when I got my first big boy tablet:



Now here I am many birthday candles later with another new "tablet":


It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0). 

We're breaking ground tomorrow on a new custom home and it looks like I'll be spending a fair amount of my semi-retired time on-site.  From what I'm told a "tablet" is the new clipboard, the universal symbol that says, "Don't ask me to actually DO anything.  I'm just a supervisor."

So far my impression is it's very intuitive, which is good because if it wasn't, this old Neanderthal would simply be the proud owner of a Samsung Rock.  I had an early iPad and didn't care for it because it was too big to lug around.  This is about the size of a Kindle.....juuuuust right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're on the waiting list for a new iPhone 5 your wait just got a little longer.  It seems that last night there was a big riot at one of the Foxconn factories in China that makes components for Apple:


The plant employs 79,000 workers and it took 5,000 riot police to restore order.  The facility is closed for at least today.  If there's a silver lining in this (for the US) it's that Chinese workers are getting restless and demanding better pay and working conditions.  Maybe we'll see a few of those outsourced jobs start to come back home?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The TV news (?) this morning was all abuzz about who wore what to the Emmy Awards last night.  What caught my eye/ear was they kept saying "....and it looked like she was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes."


So how can you tell?  Is there some identifying logo on there somewhere?  I mean, if you're wearing the shoes, and your foot is covering the name, how would anyone know?  I guess in glitzy Hollywood this is a big status symbol, but where I'm from this just screams, "Look at me!  I just dropped a THOUSAND bucks on a pair of shoes.  How dumb am I?"  I wanna know who Jimmy Choo's VP Sales/Marketing is.  He's good.  Really good!

Guess I'd better go do something constructive.  Have a good day everyone.

S


10 comments:

  1. A lot of those stars I don't think actually pay for anything; they get stuff for free so people see them in it, which is probably why they endure all that "who are you wearing?" crap.

    I've held out on a tablet because I still have my netbook which works better for writing than trying to type on a screen. I'm sure there are keyboards you can get but then I've got to lug that around too whereas the netbook I just open it and I can get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1. Happy birthday
    #2. Let me remind you...YOU RETIRED!
    #3. Good point and observation on the China riot
    #4. See #3 on the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know how that worked, PT, but it does make sense. It's probably pretty cheap advertising.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe....Yes, I am retired, but I told my brother I would help him during the early stages of construction....foundation, framing, mechanicals, etc. After that he should be able to handle things by himself. I had planned on doing SOMETHING after retirement anyway, just to have something to do. Might as well be this.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knows? I carry around an Ipod touch if I have to make little notes...Sort of like having a sticky pad I guess....

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. C. bought me an i-Pad so I could read books on it, but so far all I do is read blogs and leave comments. If I ever get back to handling a real book I hope I can remember how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved my little netbook, but the keyboard flaked out on me so I got a regular sized laptop. I just didn't see the sense in getting a tablet since I don't have any kind of data plan & I mainly used the netbook to read books & blogs :)

    You know, I have NO IDEA how they tell whose shoes are whose. The only ones that I can usually say for sure are crocs & birkenstocks. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a Blackberry Playbook since last December. It's like having an overgrown iPod. I use it to surf off the Wi-Fi at the Toucan and to bore folks with my photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, I got the same tablet for my wife, she loves it and you are right the size is just about the same as my kindle.

    Like you I don't see how they can tell who is wearing what shoes, sounds like an ad campaign to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday and congratulations on your new high-tech toy. I have an iPad and mostly use it for emails and Facebook on the go and as an e-reader. When I switched to a "real" book after reading e-books, I found myself tapping on a word to look up the definition.

    Duh.

    ReplyDelete