Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Am I ahead of my time or just "out there"?

Did you hear about the two snails that mugged a turtle?  During the police investigation when they asked the turtle what happened he said, "Gee officers, I dunno.  It all happened so fast...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This must be a slow news day.  Every news network in the world I think has rushed at least one reporter to London to give us a puke-by-puke account of how Kate Middleton's pregnancy is going.  This is just the classic definition of Too Much Information.   I actually feel kinda guilty for not caring.   Maybe I'll send her one of those big, shiny helium balloons in a few months, how's that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I recently read an article in the paper about a couple in North Carolina who decided their big 3,000+ sq ft home was more trouble than it was worth.  They downsized "to one that is half that size, cutting their property taxes in half and their aggravation even more."  Been there, done that.

I think I'm more appreciative of not having all the responsibilities a big house comes with than K is.  When we met / married K called my house "a mansion".  Hardly, but comparatively speaking to her it may have been.  All I saw was a lawn that needed maintaining, never ending painting, fixing, updating, etc.  Every storm brought with it a fear of having to possibly deal with insurance adjusters and tree trimmers.  (I damn sure wasn't climbing up there!)

After renting for four years now the idea of building a small house, very small, is slowing creeping back into my mind.  But instead of thinking up all the "things" I could build in, I think about how bullet-proof I could make it, up to and including using those lifetime light bulbs. 


This would work


Or maybe even something more whimsical

The big problem is finding a city that would allow me to build such a small house.  Around here they're all still hung up on zoning for BIG houses.  That leaves building out in the country where they have no zoning restrictions, which has NO appeal to me at all.  I like being a 5-minute-drive away from everything I could possibly want.  I'd actually prefer to be a 5-minute walk away.  I wish the rest of my area would catch up with me and those folks in North Carolina.

S


10 comments:

  1. That's hilarious they won't zone people for smaller more efficient houses. But I suppose everything's supposed to be bigger in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back when most families had 3+ children houses were 1200 sq. ft. cape cods, now most families have 2 or less kids and homes are 3500 sq ft+. Government seems to run the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we live in 850 sq ft now and are quite comfortable. After a little adjusting and organizing it's great.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people live in more space than they actually need. I live in a townhouse and the landscaping, roof and exterior are all taken care of. I love it, never having been much of a fix-it yourself guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would love our small house - it's a mile away from the Burger King in one direction & the Walmart in the other direction. Of course, we don't have a theater in town, or a coffee shop (unless you count Tim Horton's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous of your Tim Horton's!!! I keep hoping with all the Canadian snowbirds, Tim Horton will open up here, but so far no luck.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you. I have no interest whatsoever in how the pregnancy of the wife of the second in line for the throne prince is going.

    So what do you mean? They have a minimum size sq ft house zoned in? Meaning that you aren't allowed to build a small house in certain neighborhoods? We raised our two kids in a 1250 sq ft house and while it was a bit crowded during the late teen stage, we always knew what was going on with them and remain close as a family to this day, 15 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most cities here have minimum allowable square footages, usually 1500-1800. Larger homes mean more tax revenue, and to them that's the name of the game.

      Delete
  7. My first house was 980 sq. ft., and once the messy ex-husband left with his stuff, my two kids and I were very comfortable there. I used to say that it was a mansion compared to my first apartment, which was about 70 sq. ft. The bathroom was so small that I had to leave it if I wanted to turn around.

    I'm with you on living near "stuff" - country life sounds idyllic, but then you drive forever...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even know Kate Middleton was preggers! Jeez, I've got to start paying attention to the mainstream news and not just the whacky stories!

    ReplyDelete