Friday, December 7, 2012

One sweet gig

By now you've heard about the English DJ who phoned the hospital where Kate Middleton has been holed-up, telling hospital staff she was "HRH da Queen".  The staff bought it and told the impostor everything.  So why didn't they quiz "da Queen" like my bank quizzes me every time I call?...."What was your mother's maiden name?"...."What was the name of your first elementary school?"...."What was your high school mascot?"  Looks to me like this could have been a fairly simple hoax to foil.  



OK, now about that sweet gig:  Do any of you watch Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel?  He (claims to be) a chef who now travels the world visiting great (sometimes) places, seeing all the off-the-beaten-path sites, and eating exotic local cuisine.  How do people land these really cool jobs?  

Now I'll admit, it's probably great fun....for a while.  After living out of a suitcase for months on end I'm sure you can get burned out pretty fast.  Still, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  A couple days ago Anthony was in Paris getting a guided tour from a food critic friend.  They bypassed the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre and instead visited all the little markets on the side streets, drank vino and people watched from little sidewalk bistros, and ate at those quaint little restaurants off narrow alleyways that have 3 tables total.

My only hesitation would be the food itself.  He's always served something weird.  "Today, just for you Monsieur....Roquefort crabgrass and beet salad, roasted Bunion of Roadkill, and semi-fermented Brussels sprouts."  And of course he just woofs it right down cooing "Mmmmmm....this is just woooonderful."

I wish I had that wide a taste palate.  I really do.  All I'd be able to do is push the food around the plate and smile while off-camera digging into my backpack for some fake-cheese-in-a-can and some crackers.  I'm sorry, but if I can't identify it, I don't eat it.

I guess that's what's holding back my Travel Channel TV career.  :(  *Stella...I coulda been a contenda*

S

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you about the food. I'm a smidge adventerous, but a lot more cautious than I used to be. After all, at this late date I've tasted some pretty vile stuff & I have no desire to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kind of shows do seem like they'd be neat gigs, though as you say the constant travel would have to get annoying after a while. If that guy saw you chilling out at home on TV he might want your gig. Grass is always greener on the other side and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Louisiana episode was pretty interesting.

    He sure likes Offal. Not for me..

    Some awkward moments for him in Haiti and Nicaragua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Bourdain, but I know what you mean. MY WIFE will gladly tell you that once I find a dish I like at any restaurant, that's what I order every time we go there. No changes. I'm not making this up - there's one restaurant I've been going to for over 45 years (over 20 with her) where I've never had anything other than their pizza and their spaghetti with meat sauce. Well, it's just great, so why try anything else? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Bourdain, too, though I keep forgetting to see his current show. You should read his book "Kitchen Confidential". It is a fun tale of life as a New York City chef, both in and out of the kitchen.

    But I can't understand these shows where they eat offal and awful food. Not for me, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I just saw on AOL News that that nurse is dead. I hope that DJ is happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to know how Bourdain can eat all that stuff and not weigh 300 pounds!

    ReplyDelete