Sunday, December 23, 2012

"If you want something done right....


....do it yourself."  I don't know who first came up with that one, but it's as appropriate today as it was when I first heard my dad say it when I was a kid.

For me it describes perfectly the saga of the holiday banana pudding I'm still waiting for.  This past Thanksgiving I mentioned how much I wanted some banana pudding and my SIL said she would make some for our family get-together.  Bless her heart, she tried, and what she served wasn't bad at all, but it wasn't Classic Banana Pudding.  If she'd called it Banana Delight or something we wouldn't have thought anything about it.  But as we were expecting banana pudding, we were disappointed.

So, in the spirit of that old idiom, I'm gonna do it myself.  We're going to my in-laws house on Christmas day and K and I are bringing dessert.  On Monday I'll be in the kitchen with my cookbook acting like I'm Emeril Lagasse.  (Fair disclosure....my "cookbook" is actually the side of a box of 'Nilla Wafers.  Close enough.)

Fancy cooks have a habit of taking a very simple recipe and jazzing it up, thinking it's an improvement.  I wouldn't mind it if they did that and labeled it "New Improved ______" and served it alongside "Classic _____".  Then we would know we had a choice and could decide for ourselves.  I just don't like surprises when it comes to my food.  Truth in advertising.

Don't promise me Santa Claus, then send me Billy Bob Thornton.  ;)

S

7 comments:

  1. Billy Bob is one Bad Santa. I hope your pudding comes out perfect. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is so simple even I can make it. Haha! Merry Christmmas to you and your family, too. :)

      S

      Delete
  2. Hahah! Men seem to love banana pudding. I ordered it for my big hospital luncheon this year and it was a big hit. I often use recipes on the side of the boxes. I figure they spent a lot of time in a test kitchen trying to make their product taste the best it can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana pudding is a "can't miss". And you're right about the recipes on boxes. Why would they give you a recipe for something that made their product taste yucky?

      Merry Christmas, Joan. :)

      S

      Delete
  3. Boy, you're easy today. Loan me $100? ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your banana pudding turns out just the way you like it. I agree with you on messing with things that are classic. I feel that way about Christmas songs...if some pop tart comes along and sings "Silent Night," making a three-syllable word out of "night," I get grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Peeper. I hate it when singers jazz up...read: botch...perfectly good classics. :)

      S

      Delete