Saturday, December 8, 2012

Man Logic

Everything you read these days says being "preservative free" is a virtue.  Why?  What's wrong with preservatives? Webster says "preserve" means "to keep safe from decomposition".  A hundred years ago before we had preservatives people lived to be on average 60.  Today most of us make it to at least 75 or 80.  I'm thinking preservatives have something to do with that.



The Most Interesting Man in the World is in his 70's.


Sophia Loren is pushing 80.  Wouldn't you agree they're "well preserved"?

Gluten free, pootin free....I want preservatives.  Man Logic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What brought this to mind was this morning while making whop-'ems I glanced at the label and sure enough, there they were....preservatives.

Hmm?  You know....whop-'ems.  Canned biscuits.


You "whop 'em" against the edge of the counter and the can explodes....



Which brings to mind a whole 'nuther subject:  Does anyone cook from scratch anymore?   Be honest now.  My mom, rest her soul, was a lousy cook.  She knew it and even made jokes about her lack of cooking skills.  She wouldn't have known how to make a biscuit if her life depended on it.  Whop-'ems made it so darn easy, why bother learning ?

When / if you bake a cake, do you start from scratch or do you start with a boxed cake mix?  Do you buy pre-made pie shells?  Surely, unless maybe you're first generation immigrant Italian, you don't make your own pasta.  I think at this point in my life if I tasted something truly cooked from scratch I'd wonder...."this doesn't taste right.  What's wrong with it?"

To go with my biscuits this morning I made some gravy, too.  No, I didn't mix flour and water...no, wait...that's paste.  Flour and milk and....er....  I just used a mix....


It was darn good, too.  And besides, this is now The American Way.  God Bless America, and preservatives! 

Man Logic.  :)

S


6 comments:

  1. You’re clearly right about the preservatives. We shall live forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. home made biscuits are well worth the trouble. Whopems are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a whole generation of Americans that will decompose a lot slower after they die because of all the preservatives they've consumed. They'll all be a little like mummies.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my apple pie is always made from scratch, as are most of the cakes I bake. We do have packaged cake mixes in my world but they are just not the same as the USA kind. I even make my own apple sauce! lol ..it's so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I cook, and it's not that often, I tend to do it from scratch. Not because I think it's healthier, but because I'm a tight ass who worked out a long time ago that it costs a lot less to make your own pancakes than to buy a shake and bake bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whop-'ems terrify me! I always cringe & give them a little tap. I don't like things that explode :)

    ReplyDelete