Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Listen...what's that noise? *silence*


Be honest now....how many of you are thinking, "Whew, thank goodness THAT'S over with!"  It's OK....I won't tell.

I suspect most of us feel that way.  Maybe generations ago Christmas was as simple as taking a dish over to grandma's (just a few blocks away) where the family assembled to exchange hand-knit sweaters and potholders and enjoy a meal, but those days are long gone.

Now it's hours of agonizing what to get everyone, and figuring out how to juggle the "no payments 'till March / June / September".  And nobody you know, much less are kin to, live "just a few blocks away."  Families are now scattered across the country, requiring driving hours to get there.  And those are the lucky ones.  



Some have to endure air travel, lost baggage, airline employees who really don't want to be there, and increasingly (due to "climate change") sleeping on the cold airport floor with your coat for a pillow as you wait for better weather.



And holiday cooking:  I've always questioned why we do it?  I can remember the cooks in my family planning for weeks, and cooking for days, so we could sit down, say Grace, and woof it all down in 30 minutes.  (The original "wham, bam, thank you ma'am"?)  The holiday china and crystal and silver and table linens would come out, and of course have to be hand-washed and put back later.  



Now businesses that sell complete holiday meals with all the trimming's in a box do a thriving business.  I think it's safe to say "the thrill is gone".

Oh sure, I bluster, but I was actually good this year.  Normally I catch hell for being such a Bah Humbug at Christmas time, but this year I pretty much behaved myself.  I smiled and complimented K's Christmas decorations, watched Christmas shows and concerts on TV, sang "fa la freakin' la", did the shopping with a minimum of profanity, and even loaded the car and traveled with a good attitude.  Normally I'd rather slide down a 10' razor blade into a vat of alcohol than do any of that, but this year I was a veritable Kris Krinkle.  My family has one more get-together, this one to see the grand kids open their gifts from Grandpa and Miss Kelly.  It should be nice.  ;)

Am I getting soft in my old age?  

OK, I guess we can do it again next year.  Now, where's that TV Bowl Game schedule?  *wink*

S

4 comments:

  1. you know what I like best about the day after christmas? instantly, voila, no more freaking christmas music 24/7 everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the leftovers and not having to smile at anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - you are sounding like my dad here :)

    I'm glad you had a nice holiday. Now I'm off to read your other posts, but I probably won't comment on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speak for yourself, you Scrooge!

    ;-)

    I'm a kid when it comes to Christmas. My tree will be up until the 12th day of Christmas and I'll be playing Christmas music until then. I have fun sending out Christmas cards and getting them. I cooked too much and I ate too much...it was wonderful!

    Enjoy the time with your family - I only got to see my brothers and sisters via Skype!

    ReplyDelete