Monday, December 24, 2012

My kitchen adventure

K had to work today so I thought I'd help out by making the dip we volunteered to bring to the in-laws tomorrow.  What I found, however, was that the instructions were a bit lacking.  One of the ingredients was a block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese.  It said to "soften" it, so I let it sit out for a while, but it didn't soften. 

Then I remembered the little pouch of caramel that comes in the box of Genuine Home Made Brownies I sometimes make.  To make it soft enough to be able to squeeze out the end of the pouch you have to knead it for a couple of minutes.  Maybe that's also how you "soften" cream cheese?

Wrong-O.  I kneaded it like I would that caramel pouch and just left a few fingertip dimples in it.  Maybe I need to pound on it?  BIG Wrong-O!  The wrapping that comes around the block of cream cheese isn't strong enough to withstand being pounded on.

I found this out after the first "pound" when cream cheese shot out both ends of the package.  As there was no more cream cheese in the refrig I had no choice but to salvage this one.  Fortunately I had just given the granite counter top a good cleaning before I began so I was pretty sure there wouldn't be any deadly cooties in my dip.  (I later taste-tested it and so far I haven't taken up residence in the bathroom, so I'm fairly confident it's harmless.)

I scraped it all up off the counter....well, most of it....dumped in a tub of sour cream, then poured in the French onion dip powder seasoning stuff.  What exactly is a "French" onion anyway?  Is it like a regular onion but with a snooty attitude?

Then it was time to stir.  Damn....I'm exhausted!  My arm is numb.  How do these little tiny women manage to cook all day?  



I'm guessing Julia Child started out about 5'4 and weighed maybe 130, then beefed up the more she cooked.  By the time she published that big cookbook of hers she must have been a borderline knuckle-dragger!


Anyway, the bottom line is this:



It tastes really good!  I think the in-laws will like it.  They might even let me stick around for some prime rib.  :)

Merry Christmas everyone.

S

9 comments:

  1. OMGosh! LOL - was there the usual swear words following the cream cheese landing on the counter?

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how do you soften the stuff?

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just beat it with a heavy spoon until it finally gives up. It's hard work, I'm tellin' ya!

      S

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the laugh!

      I usually softened it by putting the cream cheese in a bowl and kneading it with very clean hands to break it up. Great job for little boys who like squishy gooey stuff assuming they have thououghly scrubbed.

      Merry Christmas to you & K.

      Delete
  3. Well, that made me laugh. You let it sit out on the counter for a couple of hours and then mash it with the spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a little while I questioned your sanity, Scott. In the last post spoke of you making banana pudding. Today, I come here...you should have seen the look on my face... you put French onion dip powder in your banana pudding???

    Merry Christmas to you and K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your in-laws might like your dip, provided they don't read your blog. Merry Christmas. I hope you and K have a safe and Happy Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm safe Steve. They're still resisting FM radio. ;)

      S

      Delete