Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Rice Krispie Symphony



You know how good it feels to wake up in the morning and streeeeeeetch really big?  These days I do that like always, but I sound like a one-man Rice Krispie Symphony....Snap, Crackle, and Pop.  Multiple ankle bones, right knee, neck, left elbow, and more finger-knuckle pops than I have knuckles.  (How is that even possible?)

I've been trying to figure out why my right knee is hurting so much.  It's so bad I've actually had a little limp when I walk lately.  Then I read somewhere that one of the possible side effects of aspartame (the artificial sweetener) besides constipation, diarrhea, varicose veins, an abnormally long left arm, web feet and premature ejaculation, is sore joints.

Hmmmmmm.  I wonder?

I drink a lot of Coke Zero's.  I drink it like most people drink coffee....3 or even 4 a day.  With all the talk about high fructose corn syrup in soft drinks I thought I'd give a diet drink a try.  I remembered how nasty the first group of diet drinks years ago tasted, and frankly I wasn't optimistic I'd find one I'd like.

But surprise, surprise....Coke Zero tasted GOOD!  That's been my caffeine of choice for a couple of years now.  I guess that also means I like aspartame, as that's what makes Coke Zero taste sweet.  Could it be that all that aspartame is backing up on me?

For a few days now I haven't been drinking anything containing aspartame.  I'm drinking a few Pepsi's, some sweet tea (sweetened with cane sugar), a morning bottled frappuccino, and any water that happens to trickle down my throat when I brush my teeth.  Oh, and an occasional adult beverage.  

So far, I think my knee feels a little better.  I say "think" so it might just be all in my head.  (Lord knows, there's plenty of room in there for other stuff.)  Another few weeks might give me a definitive answer.  I'll let you know.

Happy Saturday everyone.  Limp on!  ;)

S

10 comments:

  1. I am of the belief that soda is about the worst thing in the world you can drink, and diet soda tops the list in bad shit to consume.

    The dangers of suger are overrated and no one who drinks diet soda ever ooses any weight.

    From what I read, the experts agree, but I don't trust "experts" so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a smart man, Joe. I'm gonna take your advice....give up cokes, eat well, exercise, get plenty of sleep, and then maybe I can live to be as old as you. ;)

      Sorry, never could resist a hanging curve ball. Haha!

      Delete
  2. Remember when they tested these chemicals before giving them to us humans? I've read that the body can't tell the difference between artificial sweeteners and real sugar and treats them both the same way. So what's the point. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the body couldn't tell the difference between high fructose corn syrup and real sugar?

      Happy Easter back at you and Mrs. C, too. :)

      Delete
  3. If you decrease the coke and increase the adult beverages, I guarantee your joints will feel better ... at least until the morning after the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave up sodas over twenty years ago when I was pregnant with my youngest and never went back. For coffee and tea, I use Splenda for a sweetener. It is supposed to be all natural and better for you. We'll see.

    So how's your left arm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This knuckle-draggin' left arm thing is pretty cool. Now I can reach the very top kitchen cabinet. :)

      Delete
  5. I drink Diet Sun Drop every day. The problem is that I don't like coffee, and tea is just meh. So giving up soda would involve a little bit of caffiene withdrawal. But if your experiment shows that it really works to cut out aspartame then I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete