Saturday, July 27, 2013

One down, two to go


Summer in Texas is a miserable, disgusting time of the year.  Anyone who disagrees has been out in it too long.  When you open the door first thing in the morning to step out to get the newspaper, for example, and you're immediately hit by a blast of air so hot and muggy your glasses fog up, it makes you want to just crank down the A/C and go back to bed.

This climate change thing has blindsided a lot of people this year.  Blizzards when they weren't supposed to, heat waves where we weren't supposed to, floods, freak sand storms....what's next?  But oddly enough, Dallas has so far had a fairly palatable summer.  We've had a few 100 degree days, but we've also had a few days that never even climbed into the 90's. 

This morning before 7 I took Luke the Wonderdog out for a long walk.  My weather app said the temp was 74 degrees, but a pretty stiff breeze made it feel like it was in the 60's.  And if the weatherguessers are to be believed, this will be one of those sub-90 degree days.  SWEET!

I'm not foolish enough to expect August and September to be like our July was, but at least I only have two more months of misery to endure before October relief arrives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like lists.  Not "To Do" lists, but lists of fun things.  Like today on Yahoo news, for example, it had a list of the 10 coolest summer cities (we're talking temperatures), and also the 10 hottest.  

Two of the top 10 coolest are among my personal favorite cities, too:  Seattle and Denver.  Seattle because of its uniqueness and Denver because it's just a short drive (by Texas standards) to the mountains.  THE mountains.  THE ROCKY mountains.  I love THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS.  *insert little tiny heart shape symbol here*


My new address when I win the lottery

No surprise, 4 of the top 10 hottest summer cities were in Texas, Dallas being #3.  What's that old saying?...."I've got a spot in heaven guaranteed 'cause I've already done my time in hell."

Carry on and stay cool.

S


9 comments:

  1. You will need to hit the Powerball lottery for Aspen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...you lifted that "prove your not a robot thing!" Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hate that thing. Let's see if all the spammers have gone somewhere else to bother people.

      Delete
  3. I was hoping that one day it would say ..."no way YOU ARE a ROBOT" and I would be like "what? .... what?.....hmmm.....COOL!"


    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Louisiana when I first arrived in the U.S. That summer, it was 114ºF three days in a row.

    I lived in South Carolina for seven years, driving my Buffalo car without A/C. In the summer, there is nothing between Columbia, SC, and hell but an open screen door.

    You're not gettin' any sympathy from me.

    But yes, if I win the lottery and can afford everything...a summer home in Seattle is on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a spare bedroom here in Portland Oregon for you and K. Today's weather is 85 degrees and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The climate change is strange indeed. During a long walk yesterday, we noticed sumac beginning to change color. This usually don't occur in MInnesota until mid september, and here we are in late July. The high temperature was 66 degrees.

    But I'll take this over the blast furnace weather I'm hearing about elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been ridiculously tolerable here in Ohio this summer. And of course, me being me, I have a running commentary in the back of my head - "what is screwing up in the farming world because I'm not sweating this summer?"

    ReplyDelete