Sunday, July 28, 2013

Yesterday at the park....

I've gotta give 'em credit....the weatherguessers nailed it yesterday.  We enjoyed a few puffy clouds, a mild breeze, and temps in the mid-80's.  I know!

To take advantage of this rare, cool Dallas summer day K and I decided we'd take a road trip all the way to downtown Dallas to see the new....



This is a $100M public/private venture that turned a three block long, 5.2 acre piece of land ON TOP OF AN 8-LANE HIGHWAY into a public park.


That's right, this freeway....


....goes underneath this beautiful park!

We arrived there a little after noon and had no trouble finding parking nearby.  What we hadn't counted on seeing there were...


....FOOD TRUCKS!  I love food trucks....yum!


We also noticed there were Corgi's everywhere.  What the...?  Turns out there was a Corgi owners club that had met there that morning.  Being as the place is so dog friendly you might think there would be some "piles" here and there, but there weren't.  It was super clean.


Man's best friend even had their own special cooling-off fountain.


Did I mention it was dog friendly?  Did I mention I like dogs?  ;)


It also had a dedicated Juvenile Holding Facility.  ;)


It looks like we just missed whatever kind of performance/presentation they had at the outdoor stage.


There were people tossing footballs around, a few frisbees, and even these guys playing a game of non-regulation croquet.  (I say "non-regulation" because they didn't have those little white sweaters tied loosely around their necks.)

After a while of walking around and taking in all the sights, we found us a shady spot to sit and "admire" the passersby.  


When hunger pangs finally overwhelmed us (OK...me) I walked back to the food trucks and settled on this one.


It was very good!  (Crab, red and jalapeno peppers, and siriachi sauce)


The park is right across the street from The Myerson Symphony Center, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Nasher Sculpture Garden, and the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.  Kudos to "Big D" for their downtown renaissance effort.


If I worked at one of these downtown offices (or the little church), I think this park is where I'd spend my lunch hour.


Off topic:   I always liked the curved front facade on the Hunt Oil Building.


The best view of the park is probably from one of the Museum Tower condos.  Unfortunately for me, each unit is juuuuust a smidge over my budget.  (Ha!  Who are we kiddin'....more than my entire net worth.)

It was a very pleasant day.  If we have another cool summer Saturday, or maybe this Fall, we'll definitely be back.  

Have a great Sunday everyone.

S


5 comments:

  1. Great post, Scott. Dallas is definitely doing well by its downtown. Phoenix has one of those parks with a freeway running under it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corgis and sushi? Two of my favorite things. Our last pooch was a corgi and they make me smile whenever I see one. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great day! I must get down there soon. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The park sounds wonderful...and the food trucks certainly are an added bonus.

    You ever think about what we would have said 15 years ago if anyone would have bought sushi off a truck? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great - & so does your sushi - yum! I had sushi yesterday, but it came from the grocery store wo there's no comparison.

    ReplyDelete