Tuesday, July 16, 2013

You know what really chaps my hide?



Are you a flasher?  Err....let me re-phrase that.  When you see a police radar trap, do you flash your headlights at oncoming cars to warn them to slow down?  I do.  

Speed traps really chap my hide.  To think that we have crime in the streets and are perpetually short of police (?), yet they can spare dozens of cops to hide in obscure places and blindside drivers is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's OK to drive recklessly, just that ALL cops should keep an eye out for dangerous drivers and pull them over as needed, yet spend the bulk of their time on patrol looking for the REAL bad guys.


Freedom of speech?

Here's where I'm going:  There is a growing trend for citizens who "obstruct justice" (the citation they're given if they flash or put out signs to warn others) to claim flashing is protected by the Constitution as "freedom of speech".  In fact, Florida, Utah, and Tennessee have made citing flashers illegal, and others who have pleaded "freedom of speech" in court elsewhere often have their tickets dismissed.  

The city's concern is someone will take up the cause as a class-action lawsuit, and that (might) result in cities having to go back and reimburse flashers who were previously convicted and fined.

It seems to me flashers are actually HELPING the police.  If the purpose of speed traps is to get people to slow down, and flashing others to get them to slow down accomplishes the same thing, then we're helping, right?....only without having to take the time to write millions of dollars worth of those pesky 'ol tickets.

But....could it be it's NOT so much about safety, but about THE MONEY?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The logic here escapes me.

There has been widespread civil unrest and sporadic violence across the country ever since George Zimmerman was found "not guilty" of murdering Trayvon Martin last weekend.  I understand why some would be upset.  I can see why they would write letters to their congressman, their newspaper, attend rallies, sign petitions, etc.


What I don't understand is the violence.  "Yeah....I'm pissed.  I'm gonna burn up a few cars, bust out a bunch of windows, and if I can find me a nice 48" flat screen, I'm gonna take it.  I'll steal it 'for Trayvon'.  JUSTICE!"

And even sillier, remember the major violence in past years when rioters burned up entire sections of town?  "OK, now I'm REALLY pissed!  I'm gonna burn up MY OWN NEIGHBORHOOD.  My grocery store, my barbershop, my kid's school, where I work....everything.  THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!  Umm....hey....that's MY house!"  DUH!

Idiots.

S


9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of "flashing" like that. A couple years ago I got a ticket for getting in a left turn lane too early. I hadn't even realized there was a law about that. I told the officer they must be hard up for cash to pull people over for something like that. You suppose people would pay slightly more in taxes if cops abolished the speed traps? But I suppose insurance companies wouldn't like that because then it'd be harder to make your rates go up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re the riots, I expected more trouble after the decision, I think the Presidents comments helped calm people down a bit...maybe he should say something after a professional team wins a championship.

    My very first speeding ticket (I only have three in 50 years...all speed traps) was one week after I got my license. Just before I was pulled over some clown drove by and flashed his lights at me...in the day light! What a putz! That's how I learned what flashing lights mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never understand why people protest by burning or looting their own neighborhoods. But I guess this is preferable to them burning mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree with burning/looting but I can certainly understand the level of frustration/despair/rage that gets someone to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do the flashing lights thing in NC - I haven't seen it that much in Ohio. I mostly don't remember to do it - & heck you know it's a speed trap because all the cars have slowed down to 5 miles UNDER the speed limit (that chaps MY hide!).

    LOL at Joe - I think it WOULD be a good idea if the President said something after sports championships. Do you think it would work in other countries too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd NEVER flash anybody to warn him or her of a cop sitting in hiding somewhere. But I could be made to admit that I thought it was a good friend of mine driving that car and I just meant to say "hi" by flashing my light.

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    I've never gotten a speeding ticket. I have a "German flag" license plate on the front of my car. The cops know there is no speed limit on the Autobahn; they understand. They do, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, never? Then I need me a 10' x 15' German flag on MY car. ;)

      S

      Delete
    2. That German flag would only make sense...if I remember correctly, you have an Audi. After that, start speaking with a German accent. Or French...a Texas cop won't know the difference.

      Delete