Friday, July 26, 2013

Our visit to the George W Bush Presidential Library and Museum

One of the things K and I have been wanting to do is visit the recently opened George W Bush Presidential Library and Museum, and as K has some time off this week, we decided this would be the day to see it.

We purchased tickets online for the 11:30 am admission group.  Parking was somewhat of an issue as the SMU campus, the site of the Library, is very compact, so we opted for valet parking.  A short walk brought us to the front entry....



It is a beautiful, dignified building of a style complimenting the school's existing campus.


There is an impressive 4 story lobby featuring a 360 degree movie screen giving guests something to entertain them until their scheduled admission time.


 On the side walls were glass cases displaying many of the incredible, priceless gifts presented to the Bush's by visiting foreign dignitaries.  I'm assuming these baubles were for the First Lady. (Unless there's something George isn't telling us  ;)


All displays are on one floor, but quite a floor it is.  The organization was impeccable.


After viewing a 12 minute orientation film we proceeded on to the room that told the story of 9/11.


With marble walls engraved with the names of all those killed on that day, the centerpiece was several pieces of World Trade Center steel.


Touching was allowed.  Everyone displayed proper reverence.  


His official Daily Diary entry for that day was on display.  (Sorry for the poor quality photography.  These were all done on an iPhone camera.)


Who could ever forget the President addressing the responders the next day at ground zero through this bullhorn?

The next exhibit was a bit lighter:  An exact replica of the Oval Office.


"Are ya payin' attention, 'cause I'm only gonna say this once?  I want ribs, sausage, a little brisket, and some jalapeno beans....sauce on the side.  Got it?  And tell Putin I'll have to call him back."


Being an admirer of Winston Churchill, I was impressed by this bust GWB kept in the Oval Office, along with the obligatory paintings of Washington, Lincoln, etc.


Next up was an exhibit showing life in the Bush White House.


This was the setting of a State Dinner honoring HRH Queen Elizabeth II.


Even the First Dogs, Barney and Miss Beazley, got a shout out.


Some visiting animal-loving Head of State even remembered the pooches when he brought gifts.

This only scratches the surface of things to see here.  There were also exhibits that talked about Katrina (even admitting his administration's poor response), his education initiatives, his efforts to help end the spread of AIDS in Africa, the financial crisis that blew up right at the end of his second term in office, and lots more.

I was impressed with the fact that it was kept partisan-politics free.  It was very upbeat and inspiring, and ended with a call for all to serve.  Even those who were not great fans of GW Bush could visit and come away impressed.  

From an operational and execution standpoint there was nothing lacking at all, no corners cut.  It's amazing what a quarter of a billion dollars will buy!  It was a remarkably positive experience.  Two thumbs up.

S



12 comments:

  1. The two of you look awfully comfortable and at home in the Oval Office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place greatly exceeded my expectations.

    I really thought that Scott would really enjoy it and I would be a long for the trip and that my fondest memory would be that I in fact had candy in my purse ["well this place is sorta boring - at least I have candy in my purse"]

    So imagine my surprise when I found my self actually enjoying the museum and I was even more surprised at how emotional I became several times.

    One of my favorite parts was the complete absence of Political Party BS - no mention of either party - a whole lot of mentioning that we are all in this together as Americans.

    The short "thank you for stopping by" film narrated by George and Laura ended with a call to service - classy touch.

    I left with the feeling of being proud to be an American....something I can't often say these days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks much more interesting than I would have expected. Given the subject, I kept looking for the photos of the comic book collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 11am group had already colored in all of them. ;)

      Delete
  4. Love Laura's blue dress - those baubles would have matched perfectly, not that I can see her wearing that stuff very often :)

    That picture of you in the oval office? Terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrifying? Me? Really? What, you think I'd ban baseball or something? ;)

      Delete
    2. No way! In fact, I'd make you Commissioner of Baseball. NO....Queen of Baseball. ;)

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I have always wanted to visit the different Presidential Libraries. I have not had the chance to go to one yet. I have been to the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, NC a couple times since it is only two hours away. I enjoy going there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited the LBJ Library in Austin several times when I lived there. The amazing display of all the red volumes containing the presidential papers is stunning.

    But then I suspect all of the presidential libraries/museums are equally fascinating.

    Here in Arizona I'm looking forward to the opening of the museum of unsuccessful presidential candidates (Goldwater/Udall/Babbitt/McCain) opening soon in a used car lot near me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to ANY presidential library, but now I want to go. I always thought it would just be a few books, but your experience sounds like I would enjoy a visit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrific post. sure enjoyed your sharing your day. I'm putting this place higher on our list of Dallas To-Do's.

    ReplyDelete