Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cars, cars, and more cars!

I was out of pocket most of yesterday as K took the day off and we joined up with my friend Neil and attended the Dallas Auto Show.  We always like to go on a weekday as weekends are a freakin' zoo.  We met up in suburbia and rode the light rail train to the Convention Center in downtown Dallas....the best $5 I ever spent!

Compared to some of the large auto shows around the world....LA, NY, Geneva, Frankfurt, South Fargo ND, Bugtussle AL, etc, it isn't much.  No wild concept cars, no unveils, none of that.  But still this year's show was surprisingly good.

The bright overhead lights that made the cars stand out when seen directly created some awful photo glare, but here goes anyway:



K really liked the new 2015 Mini Cooper S.


I concur.  It was a winner.  I understand they want to keep the retro theme, but the changes from last year's model are too minor to the untrained eye, even though underneath it's completely new.  Still a definite keeper, though.


I specifically went to see the new Mazda 3.  The auto press has given it great reviews, and while I haven't yet driven one, I must say I was disappointed.  The interior just didn't measure up, for example.  


The styling was nice, but overall I gave it just a "Meh".


Aston Martin's really tick all my boxes, they're so beautiful.  



Even the big 4-door Aston Rapide S was stunning.  The price, though, was just plain shocking!


We were told this is the only Pagani Who Are Ya * currently in the US.  No wonder, at a million bucks plus!


* If you can pronounce it, you're a better person than me!



It was actually pretty gaudy.


Yet another McLaren MP4-12-C.  I see these things all over town.  Or maybe there's just this one and they keep driving it in circles.



A Rolls Royce Wraith.  A two-door Rolls?  Umm....no!


I did like the crystal (?) Spirit of Ecstasy, though.  :)


The Range Rover Evoque was especially impressive.  The little splash of mud behind the rear wheel was a nice touch, letting us know it's a serious off-roader.  *snicker*


For a mere $47K it can be yours.


Although the design is getting rather long in the tooth, I still like an Audi TT.  Overpriced, though.  :(


Same with the Audi R8.  



Here's Lexus' attempt to prove it isn't just an old man's car:  the LFA.  It's a $350K super car that took 10 years to design/build.  It's quite good they say, but for a lot less than that you could have....


 ....this Ferrari 458 Italia.  Game, set, match!


I have friends who have Jaguars, and frankly, they spend waaaay too much time in the shop to impress me.  Still, this new F-Type is absolutely gorgeous!


I made it a point to go check out the BMW's.  I really wanted to like them, but after looking them over I was even less impressed than when I got there.  They didn't have the nice thunk you like to hear when you close the door, and the seats didn't swallow me like I want them to. 


The new "baby" Maserati, the Ghibli.  Nice, but no cigar.



The latest iteration of the car that changes super premium fuel into tire smoke and noise, the Dodge Viper.



The Fiat 500 Abarth, because I always include one in my car show pics.

I did find my next car at the show, the upcoming (this summer), all new (although outwardly it's only slightly evolutionary looking), Volkswagen GTI:





They say it, like the previous gen GTI, has magnificent power, handling, comfort, and practicality....a daily driver you can thoroughly enjoy.  The interior quality will blow you away....I can't tell you how impressed I was with the fit and finish.  Kudos, VeeDub!  Seriously, when I'm ready to put my now-7-year-old Audi out to pasture, this is what I will be buying.  :)

And now just some random shots of select vintage cars on display:


Porsche 356


Buick ____


Early Corvette


The inspiration for "Pimp My Ride"?


Yeah....a purple Lincoln.  :0


Nice Jag


Rumble seat on a T-Bird?

That was the Dallas Auto Show 2014.  Next week....Cars and coffee.  :)

S




15 comments:

  1. The Ghibli looks too much like a Chinese Cadillac, er, Buick. I am less impressed with the Mini each time they change it. It's now a Midi and eventually it will be a Maxi.
    You don't like the Wraith? I don't like the suicide doors, but the rest is good enough for me :-)
    Guys aren't supposed to know all the color nuances, but I think the Lincoln is more of a lavender :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, the Mini is no longer all that Mini. But if you just don't try to compare it to the original and instead think of it as a cool, fun car, it's fine. No, a fastback RR doesn't look like the distinguished RR I normally think of. It reminds me of an even more upscale Bentley Continental, but not a RR. Lavender....yes, thank you. I'm not all that articulate with my colors.

      Delete
  2. Love the Porsha. A rumble seat on a t-bird...who knew. The new ones are great, but i still prefer looking at the oldies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldies are SO cool. I'm thiniking that T-Bird rumble seat was a custom conversion and not anything from the factory.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tour. Some beautiful cars. I think I'm with K on the Mini. I've been told in spite of its tiny size it's very roomy inside. And I was told that by an owner who stands several inches taller than me and I'm 6'2". I also loved the old bathtub Porsche. Great car show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there was definitely something for everyone. It was a good time. :)

      Delete
  4. Super photos. The new camera? Good work Scott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, and yes, those were taken with my new camera. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for taking us along...I love looking at cars!

    The VW GTI looks nice...and I really want to like Volkswagens, because, well, because. But when it comes to real money (= my money), I look at reliability ratings and turn away from the Volkswagens and start looking at Hondas and Toyotas. Sigh. I hope with this new design, they also improved on reliability. My German flag "license plate" would look so cool on this GTI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny Betina. Consumer Reports gives the Golf a high recommendation, saying it is very reliable. But then the GTI has had some problems. That makes no sense to me as the GTI is just a souped up Golf. I'm hoping the new generation (8th?) GTI will showed a marked improvement. Besides, I'm not buying anything any time soon. I'll continue to monitor the reliability issue.

      Delete
  6. Boy those cars were BRIGHT! I would have had to put my sunglasses on :)

    And I want the lavender one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good and usable post. Thank's to share your experience with us. I will try to remember these tips in my blog commenting task.I also provide this service plz visit my site get a dealers license  DLC Network offer all kind of dealer and brokers licensing solutions including auction license.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete