Friday, February 7, 2014

Boys and their toys

No, unfortunately I didn't realize my dream of owning a vintage Austin Healey or Alfa Romeo.  In my next life maybe, but it doesn't look too promising for this one.  What I did buy, though, was a new camera.



It's still just a point-and-shoot variety, but this one has a 30X optical zoom, 'cause, you know, sometimes a guy just has to zoom in on something 30 times.  :)

For a few years now I've used a simple pocket camera that has served me admirably:


To photograph cars at a car show or similar it's been great, and I'll still use it some, but recently I've wanted a photo of something that was just a bit out of range and I was dead in the water with this one.

I learned long ago that anything with much more than an on/off button is too complex for me.  Consumer Reports and lots of user reviews said this one was easy peasy.  Sold!  And so far the camera has been.  It's setting it up to connect (via Wifi) with my computer, iPad, iPhone, etc that has been a pain. 

The instructions just assume everyone starts out with at least an Associates Degree in Computer Technology.  They really shouldn't let a techie write the how-to instructions for a consumer electronic device....they can't think simple enough.  I finally had to call in my in-house IT guru (K) and she set me up.  Sort of.

Take a picture...press x button...wait for it...it connects to my computer...do this...do that...drag it here...on and on.  Finally, about 8 steps later I was able to produce a picture I could share on my blog.  Jeez, this is gonna take all day to download all my car pics.  

*OMG, what have I done?  Can I take it back?  Where's the box?*

But then, on my iMac, I did something (unknown) and suddenly a pop-up asked, "Do you want to download your pictures directly to iPhoto?"  

ABSO-FRICKIN'-LUTELY I DO!  (Apple to the rescue! :)

Bada Bing....now it works like a champ.  God does indeed look after idiots, drunks, and now the tech challenged, too.  :)

Have a great weekend everyone.  Stay warm.

S


8 comments:

  1. I just pop the memory card into a card reader for my desktop PC and copy them, though with one polar vortex after another I haven't had the chance to take many pictures recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you! Just a few days and you'll have it all doing what you want :) I love new gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy for you. Mine is identical to your old one and has been absolutely invaluable as I used it to photograph literally thousands of pages of hand written text instead of scanning it. And as the size is perfect for a pocket, I almost always have it handy. And embarrassed to admit it is only after I had owned it for awhile I figured out it also takes good video. Anyhow, enjoy your new one and post some zoomed stuff. fin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, congrats. You'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. even that gadget had me swearing a bit

    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You'll have to take moon pictures now and post them on Facebook whenever we have a full moon. :-)

    I have a camera that's quite similar to yours, the SX40 with a 35x zoom. That's how I get all my bird and moon pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same thing that Pat does - but I have PC. Can't wait to see the new pictures you show us!

    ReplyDelete