Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I don't understand....


I don't understand how the International Olympic Committee can announce on July 4, 2007 that Sochi, Russia would be the host city of the 2014 Winter Olympics, yet on February 4th, 2014, two days before the opening ceremonies, they still haven't finished all the construction.  

They've had 6 1/2 years to get ready.  Jeez, Pootie Pooh, how much time do you need?  It's like a college kid waiting until the night before his final exam to begin studying.

Er....OK, so maybe I have just an inkling how that might could happen.  *Oops*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I don't understand how people like these ^ in Kiev, Ukraine can get fed up enough with their crooked leaders and take to the streets in protest, while Americans won't even fire off an email in protest when their leaders are stealing them blind.

A weekend newspaper story told of how influental aides to many House and Senate leaders, both Democrat and Republican, shaped the writing of laws affecting banks, agriculture, mortgage reform, etc, then turned right around and went to work as lobbyists (there are over 12,000 of them) representing firms that cashed in BIG on the laws they wrote!  Cha Ching!  So much for "ethics reform".

And when Senators and Congressmen retire, they don't move back home and fish and play with the grandkids.  No, they stay in Washington and open up lobbying firms themselves.

This is just organized crime on a level that would make the Mafia blush.  When are we going to wise up and throw the bums out?  I say we need to bring in some consultants from Ukraine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally, I don't understand all the rich and famous people who become drug addicts.  They say "they can't stand the pressure".  Huh?  

Obviously I'm not rich or famous, so somebody please 'splain it to me.  What "pressure" makes you stick a needle in your arm?  The pressure of being able to pay your bills?  The pressure of being able to afford first class travel anywhere you want to go?  The pressure of wanting to fit in with the "cool kids"?  Wait....you ARE the cool kid.

That said, of course I'm sad they're gone.  That's a terrible way for anyone to leave this world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's about it.  Everything else I've pretty much figured out.  ;)

Have a great day everyone.

S


9 comments:

  1. I know of no good explanation for these things.
    Evil exist and like a virus infects many people. Money often begets greed for more and more and when it is never enough people look for "feelings" in other ways such ad drug induced high's.
    sadness :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what day will part of one of those stadiums collapses and kill hundreds of people? They've probably got a prop bet in Vegas for that. Or if not they will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artists are often a "special breed." They have unusual talents but are socially off tilt and put pressure on themselves when pressure does not exist. I think it is just part of who they are and part of what makes them talented. They probably also sometimes wonder why they are paid so much to play make believe when others cure cancer in obscurity*. I never even heard of this actor. If he never existed some other actor would have made those movies and they would have been just as good so I won't miss him, but I do feel sorry for the forces in his mind that drove him to drugs.

    *Not ALL artists Stephen, some extremely talented people can put life in a proper prospective...or else they marry really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll never understand why they selected Sochi for the Winter Olympics. Where's the snow? Don't you need snow? I guess they're making it somewhere and are shipping it in. I just hope everyone is safe. So many people over there hate Putin and want to destroy his legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one was over my head, I will go back to playing marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the collected snow from last year and saved it to be on the safe side. The Olympic selection has a lot of politics that come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything that said "pressure" is the reason celebs become addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. I do think they are more insulated than regular folks from the consequences if they do and that can make it very hard to clean up. Seems like a disease that cuts across all cross sections of the population to me. The media may make Celebs may seem more prone to it since they're already in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scott, those builders in Sochi definitely needed someone with your expertise in construction.

    As for Washington, the evils you describe have made me crazy for years, decades even. Retiring politicians (with the exception of Harry Truman) never seen to "go back home".

    Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a marvelous actor, as the media is saying "perhaps the best of his generation." But he apparently had more "black dogs" than the average person that plagued his inner life and led him to drugs. I'll miss him but I pity the man he was, too. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't explain the construction issues at Sochi. But I can't explain the construction issues at the new World Trade Center, either. I guess I'm with you...I can't explain anything.

    ReplyDelete