Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Once I thought I wanted a career....

....but now I realize all I want is a paycheck.


Is it just me or has life become dramatically more difficult in recent years?  Thirty *cough, cough* years ago when I became a homebuilder it was actually fun.  I began in sales and did reasonably well, watched and learned "how-to" build homes, and finally joined with my brother in our fledgling family business.


Back then a contract was one side of letter-sized piece of paper.  Then it went to two sides of a legal-sized piece of paper.  Today it's 28 pages long.  We have to follow rules by OSHA, EPA, HUD, Fed banking regulators, Storm Water Run-off regulators, city mandates, state registration, etc, etc....Oh, and of course, the IRS.  And insurance audits, too.  Actually building the home is the EASY part today!


And homebuyers....*biting tongue*.  They see something online and tell me, "That's what I want!"  Except it won't meet current building codes.  Or it features a product made by a local artisan in Vermont and isn't available here, and I don't dare order it sight unseen and with no local support....but that isn't what my customer wants to hear.  They just think I can walk into Home Depot and buy 'em by the case. And they want me to negotiate a super-cheap deal on their behalf, but then quibble over my margin.


Please don't misunderstand.  I am SO grateful the Good Lord has given me work during these tough times.  I'll work diligently as always, but like that old B. B. King song says, "The thrill is gone."  I don't want the thrill to be gone.  I'm just not sure the thrill-kill genie can go back in the bottle at this late date.


S

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there baby and start studying colorado "green codes"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand! I once enjoyed my job, but not just the outside burocracy has gotten bad, the inside has as well. It's no fun! (12 more months! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lordy do I understand. It was not JUST laziness that made me jump at my 'early out' from gummint!

    ReplyDelete