Friday, July 22, 2011

The right way and the wrong way....

A while back K ordered some professional books (HR-type study books) from Amazon and they shipped them via the United States Postal Service.  She never received them, so yesterday she emailed the USPS, gave them the assigned shipping/tracking number, and asked for assistance.  She eventually got a reply which said they could not help her find her missing package. 


So what's the point in having a tracking number?  This is government logic at its finest!  (I know, I know...the USPS is a stand-alone entity, not taxpayer funded, but I contend they still operate with a government mentality.)  This is definitely THE WRONG WAY to do business.  Obviously "customer service" is a foreign concept to the USPS.


She then called Amazon and told them of the problem and they apologized and told her they would either refund her money or ship it again.  She opted for the "ship again", and shortly received an email confirmation that it was on its way, and they even upgraded her shipping to 'next day delivery' at no additional charge.  This is definitely THE RIGHT WAY to do business.  Kudos Amazon!


And the USPS wonders why they're losing billions of dollars. They're even contemplating a cut-back in delivery service to as few as 3 days a week.  I say just close 'em down and don't look back.  Yes, there would be some temporary job losses, but car washes are always needing new rag boys (and girls).  ;)


S

3 comments:

  1. I ordered book with a USPS tracking and they lost it too. It was a fiasco to say the least. This happened when they attempted to deliver it, brought it to the station and *poof* it vanished...

    Yes we have the confirm number, no it isn't here even if it did arrive...

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar story. A number of years ago, I got a huge Christmas package from my family in Germany. You know, the usual stuff... photos in frames, chocolates, several bags and boxes of German Christmas cookies, some clothes, etc.

    And two English language paperback books; romance novels. Might have been slightly used.

    Couldn't quite make sense of it. If anything, my family would have sent me German books, because books in English can be bought everywhere here. When I called to thank them for all the goodies, I gingerly mentioned the books. Books??? My sister didn't know quite what to make of it. Why would they send me books?

    Somewhere, in New Jersey I suspect, a customs checker was eventually fired for being too careless.

    Somewhere in Texas, a woman was wondering what happened to her romance novels.

    Somewhere in Montana, an old man still talks about those fabulous German Christmas cookies from all those years ago.

    I still have those paperback books. Maybe when I retire, I'll even read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered a CPU for my old laptop, but made the mistake of doing it just before Canada Post carriers started rotating strikes and then C.P. locking them out. Everyone was legislated back to work, but my CPU was shipped May 28 and I still don't have it. It's likely sitting in a bin somewhere between here and wherever it crossed the US border. It's not the seller's problem, so I won't complain to him about it and just swallow the loss.

    ReplyDelete