Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY TWENTY-DOZEN!

Happy New Year, everyone!  It's that time again....time to wring out the old, wring in the new, and just move on with our lives in general.  I for one was happy to turn out the lights on 2011.  It really wasn't a bad year, but just one I'd rather not replay.


I had a small but comfortable home to live in, more than enough food to eat, reliable transportation, and a job.  It saddens me to think of all the people who didn't have one or more of those luxuries.  The only thing that really matters, of course, is that I had my wife and my health.  Both K and I and our extended families were blessed with good health all year, especially my daughter Erica who's expecting my first granddaughter in April.  She and baby "Gladys" (kidding....I hope!) are doing great.  K's dad fell and broke his hip in February, but his recovery was so speedy his doctors are still shaking their heads in amazement.  That episode barely moved the needle on the "ill-health meter".


My real heartbreak in 2011 was losing my dog, my best friend Emma Belle, just two weeks ago.  I miss her more than you'll ever know, but I do have some wonderful memories of all the good times we had during the 6+ years she was in my life.  (When I got K I also got Emma, a pretty sweet twofer, don't you think?)


Looking at things in a macro sense, the world in 2011 was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  Earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunami's, not to mention all the man-made catastrophes around the globe, just made me shake my head.  And I'll be darned if I can see a leader anywhere, now or even on the horizon, who can put things back together.  I'm just gonna keep my head down and try to slink through 2012 unnoticed.  As long as He's looking over me, and He is, I'll be fine.


On a positive note, every new year brings hope for a better tomorrow, so maybe this will be the year where everything good just falls into place.  After recently feeling myself falling back into some old habits, I'm pledging to myself to try and live according to Teddy Roosevelt's old adage, "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have."  Lot to be said for simple living.  


So how was your 2011?  Two thumbs up, two thumbs down, or just a "pass"?


S

7 comments:

  1. I had my thumb sideways and just kinda hitchhiked my way through it :-)
    Happy New Year to K and yourself, S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Simple is good! We gotta get back to it! It's going to be a busy year though for me - finish NASM (Spring 2012), Colorado (late Spring 2012), Star Wars Convention (August 2012) - hang on it's going to be fun :) I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say it was a pass for me. With the exception of the nastiness you mentioned in your post, pretty so-so life here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, 2011 ended up a pretty good year for me and Mrs. Chatterbox. Her surgery came off well, our son finally sold his house and landed a great job, and I started my blog The Chubby Chatterbox and was introduced to some great people. Not too bad. I know many people are suffering out there and I sincere;y wish them, and you & K, a happy and prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fairly optimistic person (or maybe I'm wearing rose-colored glasses), so I always tend to look on the bright side and be hopeful towards the future. People drift to me when they need pep talks.

    2011 was a good year for me, although I realize that a lot of people have it pretty tough right now.

    A Happy New Year to you and K!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best part about 2011 for me was my hip surgery - nice to have that old pain gone from my life. But my mother-in-law died, so that's in the minus column.

    I think, all things considered, I'll be glad to move on to another year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you captured my feelings pretty well in many respects. I have almost totally quit paying attention to our politicians, and the few things which DO penetrate just reinforce my decision to basically attempt to ignore them totally. I don't think they have a single clue as to what needs to be done, let alone the integrity and courage to do it. f

    ReplyDelete