Saturday, April 9, 2011

You know what bugs me?

The lack of etiquette and manners I witness every day, that's what bugs me. Don't parents teach these things to their kids anymore?

As we often do, especially on weekends, K and I walked the one block to Bishop Street, aka Fun Street, which is a destination people from all over north Dallas come to for a fun, lively evening. It's apparently prom season, and this is what I saw tonight: A group of about a dozen teenage girls all dressed up in their formal dresses, all walking together, then about 20 paces behind came about a dozen teenage boys dressed in their tuxedos, obviously part of the same group. What's wrong with this picture?

Every single day I see cars park at the curb, a man gets out of the driver's side and a woman gets out of the passenger's side, and they walk, with him well ahead of her, to their restaurant, ice cream parlor, jazz club, etc. Aren't guys taught these days to walk beside their lady, and if the path is constricted (such as a narrow sidewalk), to let the lady go first? Do men open doors for women anymore? I would hate to see these people sit down to a formal dinner. I can only imagine how lost they would be with the place settings. Not that I eat formally very often, but if necessary I would at least know which fork/spoon to use for each course.

To me teaching your kids proper manners is just part of parenting. I guess I'm even more of a dinosaur than I thought. *shaking head*

S

1 comment:

  1. To be honest I see some good manners in society but its few and far between. My National Guard platoon was up in DC back in 1991 and one of the guys offered to give his seat to a lady who, because of the crowd was being forced to stand up.

    It was a simple gesture of kindness but the lady freaked.

    ReplyDelete