Wednesday, January 25, 2012

One to remember

I remember many years ago when I was a student at Harvard-on-the-Plains, more commonly known as Texas Tech University, Lubbock had the mother of all thunderstorms.  It lasted most of the night and was just a flash of lightning and clap of thunder one after another after another.  I remember I turned off the lights and, just to see if it was possible, read a chapter in a textbook using just the illumination from the lightning.  The next day everyone I saw looked like they hadn't slept all night, probably because they hadn't slept all night.  FLASH...BOOM!  FLASH...BOOM!  It was a crazy night.


Last night here in Dallas it wasn't quite that intense, but it was still memorable.  So far we've had more lightning strikes than you can count, and 2.5" of rain with another 2+" expected before the storm moves out.  Our area lakes, which are all several feet (or more) low, are getting a nice fill-up.  We've been on Stage 2 or 3 (I can't remember which) water restrictions for months, and we've been warned that if we don't get some major replenishment before spring we'd soon be on Stage-whatever-is-the-highest.  That would mean short showers and ducking behind trees for "relief".  Just for the record, La Nina sucks.


Did anyone watch The Prez on TV last night?  I actually watched the replay this morning and thought he made a great speech.  Now let's see if he can deliver on any of it.  I thought it spoke volumes when he mentioned the banking/financial reforms and congressional insider-trading reforms that were still needed, and then the cameras panned the Republican delegation to show them all staring at their shoes.  Or maybe they were checking their pay envelopes they were handed by the banking lobbyists as they entered the House chamber.  I couldn't tell which.  At least the Democratic delegation slipped theirs into their coat pockets to be counted after the cameras were turned off.  Smart.   :)


S

5 comments:

  1. I think Obama knows most of the programs in his speech, practically all of them, aren't going to get done by this Congress. Republicans hate Obama more than they care about the welfare of our nation, and they will do anything to prevent this president from being successful. Mr. Obama was setting out his agenda for the next four years should he get re-elected, which I hope will happen. His policies are in stark contrast to those Republican measures that caused this meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He gave a good speech. Always nice to have great speech writers on the payroll.
    I'd rather watch what he does like everyone else and I can see their commitments. He isn't the best and he isn't the worst.

    I think he is committed.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWMBO and I both thought he gave a terrific speech. I noticed the pundits were as torn apart as the House in their after-the-speech comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had to watch the pres this morning because I wouldn't let you turn the Big Bang Theory off - this girl has her priorities squared away!

    Besides isn't he technically a politician? And don't we think all politicians are liars?

    ReplyDelete
  5. La Nina downunder has seen storms and torrential rains, high humidity and a miserable summer. Warm - sometimes but certainly NOT hot. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete