Monday, January 16, 2012

I'd make a lousy diplomat

Doesn't anything newsworthy ever happen in Australia, or Denmark, or Chile?  Every morning I pull up the news and find the same thing day after day:  Iran this, Pakistan that, Iraq...Egypt...Afghanistan...Syria...Libya...etc. I'm sorry, but I flat don't give a rats ass what happens over there.  That part of the world is just a giant hell hole as far as I'm concerned.  It's almost as if blowing stuff up is their idea of having a good time.  And let's face it....if there wasn't oil in that general area, the rest of the world would write it off, too.  


Yes, I believe we should share our food and humanitarian supplies with people who are hurting wherever they are, but that generally isn't the way our foreign aid policy works.  Most of our generosity goes to governments, who promptly split it up among the top politicians and generals, the people be damned.   Last time I looked we had people right here at home who had bare pantries, and we had bridges and roads right here that were crumbling.  And unemployed people right here who would love a job building / repairing those crumbling bridges and roads.  And broke taxpayers right here who are tired of trying to buy friends all over the world.  What is it Dr. Phil says?  "....and how's that workin' out for ya?"  


I doubt I'll get many comments to this post because, honestly, this is about as un-PC as you're gonna get.  I don't care.  This is my vehicle to vent.  Venting complete.


S

4 comments:

  1. Aside from oil, I don't think the Middle East has much to offer. I say we develop an alternative energy source and allow the Middle East to sink back into the sand. The environment will thank us for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oil is it. There is no reason to be there otherwise unless you are there for humanitarian purposes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and if you are there for humanitarian purposes there will be a benefit to be gained ( access to oil has always been my take - either that or trying to control the price of it...)

    As for newsworthy in Aus, lets see, the occasional national disaster? cyclone, bushfires etc.... Maybe you should consider migrating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I laughed out loud at the title of your post before I even read it - it's in the "No shit Sherlock" category :)

    I agree with you about taking care of folks at home and our own economy before giving so much money to other countries - to a point. There are some countries where our poor might seem rich - of course the problem with that line of thinking is that we have created a way of living that can't be done without money, unless you have your own subsistence farm, & even THAT would require money...

    ReplyDelete