Friday, January 27, 2012

Not enough zero's on the check

Did you hear that Costa Crocierie SpA, the subsidiary of Miami-based Carnival Corp that owns the Costa Concordia, is offering all un-injured passengers on that ill-fated ship $14,460 apiece as compensation for their little boo-boo?  Italian lawyers are obviously not as aggressive as American lawyers, that's for sure!  If that happened here there would have been an entire fleet of lawyers in rubber dinghies circling the sinking ship passing out business cards before the Captain had a chance to say, "Chao, y'all."


I'm anxiously awaiting our W-2's and donation summaries to arrive so I can do our 2011 taxes.  This is the one time of the year when I'm sorry I don't own a home any longer.  The write-off was nice!  Still, I think the care-free lifestyle we've enjoyed these past 2+ years has more than trumped the write-offs we've missed.


Speaking of taxes, did you see where Mitt Romney (really....who names their kid after sporting equipment?) paid $44,000 MORE in taxes than he should have?  Experts have looked at his newly released tax return and concluded he overpaid.  If it turns out he's elected President I hope he doesn't put his tax man up as Sec Treasury.  As if we're not totally screwed now!  


I'll leave you with these words of wisdom for the weekend:  As my uncle with the bad liver once told me, "Always take life with a grain of salt.  Plus a slice of lime and a couple shots of tequila."  :)


S

5 comments:

  1. The point has been made on another website that the compensation is quite in line with European expectations for an uninjured EUROPEAN passenger.

    I see conflicting info on whether this prohibits them from seeking their personal belongings left in the safe or stateroom.

    I think Costa will likely up the ante for American, Australian and others whose trip home was likely far more expensive than anticipated.

    Any idea when the class action settlement, less fees, less expenses, less lawyers hands in--might be in the pockets of those who choose NOT to take the initial offer (made before they even begin offloading fuel, which supposedly begins tomorrow?)

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also heard that Mitt's tax guy overlooked certain Swiss bank accounts where several million dollars are parked. I've suggested that math isn't real and a good example of this is how numbers can be twisted to mean anything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, poor Mitt. My heart bleeds for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm anxiously awaiting ... do our 2011 taxes."

    So - you were drinking at 9:32 a.m. today??? ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your grandpa!!

    ReplyDelete