Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"They got the elevator, we got the shaft"

I've become fairly knowledgeable about the financial deregulation of the 1990's (although I'll stop well short of calling myself an expert) and the door it opened up for the "blow-and-go"....actually more like "smoke-and-mirrors"....first decade of the 21'st Century.  As we're now painfully aware, all that gee-wizz "financial engineering" that brought Wall Street (used generically to include the big banks, hedge funds, insurers, brokerages, etc) immense wealth actually produced little of real value.  Many respected scholars and actual insiders to what was going on told us years ago that we were on a very slippery slope, but they were drowned out by the lobby for those raking in BILLIONS of dollars in commissions and bonuses.  Those were heady days, and we didn't want to hear any bad news.  Things turned out just like that old song said they would:  "They got the elevator, we got the shaft."


Now here we are in 2012, an election year.  Mitt Romney appears to be on a roll and will likely be the Republican nominee for President.  He was one of those who profited mightily from those deregulated times, and so are his current financial backers.  They really want to see him elected as they have visions of returning to the good 'ol days (for them at least).  They assume he'll call off those who are clamoring for re-regulation, and based on what he's said so far in his campaigning, he will.


I'm no fan of Barack Obama, or more specifically, I'm no fan of the Obama administration.  IMO, he has surrounded himself with advisers who are doing him and the American people a disservice.  They are individually brilliant, but collectively inept.  "What is" and "what could have been" are, sadly, two very different things.


So what will our likely choices be this November?  More of what we have now (how depressing is that?) or a replay of what we had before (YIKES!).  Some choice, huh?


S

5 comments:

  1. It's pretty scary, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall the heady days when the market was going straight to Pluto. Silently it has started its return some time ago. People are markets and when people move so do the markets....

    Romney did some good things in his business but make no mistake he was a profiteer. We live in a society that values this sort of endeavor. You build houses and hopefully sell them at a profit. Of course what you do is tangible by virtue of the fact that you can live in it.

    I'm not a fan of Romney. I'm not a fan of Obama. I'm in trouble with my list of choices.

    Dammit!!!!

    Sorry. I had to let that one out.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given a choice, I'll stick with what we've got right now. Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of an old Texas joke, which I've forgotten, about the 'lesser of two weevils".

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Obama has learned enough in his three years in the White House to not trust any Republicans in Congress again. I'm looking forward to a very successful second term.

    ReplyDelete