Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sex sells

It seems there were some ruffled feathers at this year's Consumer Electronics Show over the presence of "booth babes".  Anyone who's been to a car show is very familiar with what I'm talking about, but apparently they're just now becoming fashionable in the nerdy world of consumer electronics.  The term simply means attractive, provocatively dressed young ladies who mill around by their sponsor's booth attracting attention.  People, mainly men, walk over to get a closer look and are snagged by the product rep and given a pitch and some literature.  


And quite frankly, it works.  Sex (appeal) sells products.  You think Go Daddy would be where it is today without Danica Patrick?  So, I'm wondering....why aren't there "booth hunks"?  Don't tell me women don't like to see good looking men.  George Clooney?  Daniel Craig?  Matthew McConaughey?  Ashton Kutcher?  (I really don't get that one!)  Dos Equis "The Most Interesting Man in the World"?   


We all like to look at good looking people, whether they're in a movie, on a magazine cover, at a trade show, or just walking down the street.  And there is a HUGE mega-billion dollar industry that tries to get us to believe WE are good looking people, too.  (See, there is an upside to myopia!)  So what's the big deal over "booth personnel"?  ;)


S

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were ruffled feathers over this sort of thing. This is just the way the world works. I could buy a Lamborghini and I don't think women would throw themselves at me. I hope to test this theory one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha...it's as if you knew what the engineers at my work were talking about last Friday! A few of them are going to a windstorm conference in a few weeks and they were jokingly discussing how to beat other companies who make themselves more interesting with "bikini babes." They'll be showing off our thermal imaging camera...LOL.

    Hot bikini babes here...thermal imaging camera there... what a decision!

    I do believe that an interesting come-on (be it babes, or free stuff, or something else) will sell you once, but you won't go back a second time if the product is no good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I've been saying for YEARS! Where's MY eye candy? I feel gypped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd buy something from George Clooney. Almost anything ;)

    ReplyDelete