Monday, January 6, 2014

"I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings...."

Saturday afternoon K and I stopped in to the nearby "wine and spirits" store that just opened.  It's called Total Wine & More, and it's the largest booze store I've ever seen!

Their website says they're now in 15 states, but this is the first I've heard of them.  Imagine a big box grocery superstore.  Now imagine emptying it and re-stocking it with 8,000 different wines, 2,500 different beers, and 3,000 different liquors.  It's like Mecca for alcoholics.

For the record:  I comment now and then about my occasional imbibing, but understand it's just that....occasional.  A glass of wine or a beer with dinner, or maybe an after dinner liqueur, that's about it.  (My bottle of 12-year-old Glenfiddich single malt scotch has seen a few more birthdays since I opened it.)

Our reason for going there was for K to check out the different kinds of unique beers they stock.  She's into the "build your own 6-pack" from the plethora of craft beers on the market.  (I'm easy....my favorite beer is whichever is the coldest.)   

I was able to leisurely peruse the aisles for half an hour while K tried to make up her mind what she wanted.  (Decisiveness is not one of her strong points.)  Check some of the choices:














I'm more into the liqueurs, an appreciation I picked up years ago while watching SNL's Tim Meadows as "The Ladies Man".  


He was partial to Courvoisier.  I'd rather drink transmission fluid.

Truth is, despite the title of this post, I'm in no danger of developing any addictive tendencies, which is good as it's all I can do to keep Lukie in kibble.   (He eats like a horse.  Where does the little f__ker put it all?)

S


5 comments:

  1. I thought I was an alcoholic. Turns out my second wife was a carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time when I'd have a martini every night when I came home from work. But that was a long time ago. I love these beer labels even though I don't like beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a drinker - probably a lot like you - but I LOVE going to Total Wine (we have one in Tampa). I'm definitely not a connoisseur...I buy beer and wine based on how clever/cute/funny the label looks. I absolutely approve of all of K's choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeuing Ling, Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber are my wife's taste, unless it is really hot. She then likes the even lighter Dos XX and White Stripe beer. Thankfully I never acquired a taste for it. Bourbon is my vise.

    ReplyDelete