Thursday, March 24, 2011

How much do I love co-ops?

About $94,000,000 worth. That's how much REI Co-op returned to their members this past year. I've been a member for years, and regularly get back $50-$100 a year. (There is a one-time fee of $25 to become a member.) REI is an outdoor gear store that is one of my favorite places to shop. They have 2 stores here in Dallas, many other brick-and-mortar stores coast-to-coast, as well as an on-line store. And no, I'm not on REI's payroll. I just really like them.

I think it's so cool when members get to share in the "profits" of a business. I just feel like I'm being treated fairly there, instead of being "sold" something. Sort of how I like credit unions more than banks (whose main job....no, ONLY job....seems to be to squeeze every last cent they can out of you). I've become quite the cynic. Can you tell? I guess it's just another sign of the times we live in.

S


2 comments:

  1. I love it! I got a $10 pair of socks and a $48 Camelbak for a little over $9!

    Sweet!

    And don't make fun of my water carrying device :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love outdoor shops. I get a similar feeling when the dividend checks hit the mailbox from some of the stocks I own.

    Have a great weekend.

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete