Monday, August 22, 2011

Ants in my pants

Thank God for cars, and planes, and trains.  They enable us to hop on one and go far, far away from where we don't want to be.  Right now I want to be far, far away from Texas.  Somewhere cooler, and with a better view, or at least a different view.


I've read that a century ago most people grew up and later died all within 25 miles of where they were born.  "Travel" was going into town on Saturday for some supplies.  Only the super-wealthy had cars, and air travel was downright exotic.  We can thank Mr. Ford for opening up the world to us masses.


I guess if you didn't know any better it wasn't so bad, but today we do know better.  It's the old 'the grass is always greener' thing, and I have a bad case of it.  I don't know if its just a matter of miserable summer weather, the constant pressure of the rat race, or me just reading too many books and magazines for my own good, but today I'm restless beyond belief.  Having "roots" can sometimes work against you. 


I'm going to get me one of those "countdown" calendars, the kind where you X off each day until ________.  In my case, ________ means moving to Colorado or somewhere equally cool (both literally and figuratively).  


S

6 comments:

  1. My friends just returned from Texas and even they were complaining about the heat in Dallas. Our weather is perfect right now. Low 90's for the highs and low 70's are the lows....

    I was born in the current zip code where I currently live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. today it's 80°F in my world and very humid, but I'm NOT complaining after weeks of cold and rain...

    Come over here for a week! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading once upon a time that Texans will drive 150 miles for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catalyst....200 if there's cream gravy involved. :)

    Dorrie....from where I'm sitting you're on the greener side of the fence.

    Bobby....I was born in San Antonio, raised near Dallas, and hope to retire in Colorado. *fingers crossed*

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you consider a time-share until you fully retire?

    Or a home swap (though I suspect that would not be very popular till the snows fall in Colo. Or your own thi drops to double digits.

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 4,900 miles from where I was born, but I'm pretty sure Dorrie could beat me.

    ReplyDelete