Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Conflicted...with UPDATE

I take Emma Belle out every morning around 6 for a walk and have noticed it is now just barely light at that hour.  The days are getting noticeably shorter.  I like this.  While most people want it to be light as long as possible, I actually enjoy the evening / nighttime.  


My feeble little mind thinks of daylight as "work time" and darkness as "my time".  (Obviously I've never worked a night job.)  Often times when the sun sets I can feel the muscles in my neck relax.  Conversely when I'm driving to work I can feel them tighten up, ready to get the work day started.  The summer solstice is not an especially happy time for me.


I've been debating doing this for several days now, but today I'm going to contact our neighborhood police store front about a situation with a dog that concerns me.  I pass an apartment every day 3 or 4 times as I walk Emma, and there is a dog inside.  Trouble is, there is NEVER any sign of human life there.  No lights, window blinds are drawn, etc.  I assume the dog has a/c, but I have doubts about it having food or water.  I say that because a week ago the dog would bark and bark and bark when we walked by.  This morning it just barked once.  Is it weak?  I would hate to have it on my conscience that an animal starved to death because I didn't do anything, yet I hate being a nanny neighbor.  Conflicted....


S


UPDATE:  I called the police non-emergency number and reported my concern, and an officer checked and called me back to report a dog inside, but no obvious signs of distress.  Still, he said he would give our neighborhood officer the info and he will keep a close eye on the situation.  I feel better.

5 comments:

  1. Call the cops! Tell them I was worried - you can blame that kind of stuff on the wife ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call the cops. Worst thing? Nothing is wrong....Call 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you called them. Let us hope they didn't send Barney Fife to investigate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you, Scott. (As they say in Noo Yawk City!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just now read this. Glad you called the cops, just in case.
    It's just like hearing kids screeching... you never know if they are being abused or if it's just a normal, everyday crying spell. I remember my son once screaming his head off about something, he was about 1 1/2, and I worried the neighbors would think I was pounding him! I worried someone might call the cops but no one did *whew*.
    You never know.......

    ReplyDelete