Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I definitely missed my calling

So I'm watching the news the other evening and they interviewed an SMU professor to get his insight on whatever the topic was.  Now get this....the guy was identified as a Professor of Comedic Arts and Science.  I wonder what the curriculum is to get a degree in Comedic Arts and Science?  (You think the other professors laugh at him? Sorry.)  First my high school guidance counselor failed to mention "Brazilian bikini wax technician", then she skipped right over a career in Comedic Arts and Science.  In retrospect I'd say she pretty much sucked as a guidance counselor.  ('Course, she herself had a degree in sociology and was lucky to have a job at all.)


Speaking of sociology, when I was at Harvard on the Plains, aka Texas Tech University, I took a course on the Sociology of Leisure.  True!  I was a senior, had already maxed out the courses I could take in my major and was in dire need of something to give my GPA a nudge, and that's what I came up with.  I also took "Home and Family Life" in the School of Home Economics (44 girls, 4 guys....Bazinga!).  I went to sign up for "Pots and Pans", which they tried to legitimize by calling it "Household Equipment", but the class was already full.  I guess the jocks got there first.  Geez, I can't imagine why? *wink*


S

2 comments:

  1. I found myself in a similar situation at UCLA in the'70s and signed up for Children's Literature. I actually got credit for reading Charlotte's Web and Winnie the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same situation my senior year too - I took Peasant Economies (I was an accounting major) and badminton. I think I had racquetball that year as well. It was a pretty sweet deal.

    ReplyDelete