Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's a GIRL!!

Last night K and I met up with the rest of the family and invited friends at daughter Erica's home for her baby's "gender reveal" party.  I'd never heard of this before, but it's apparently become a big deal:  After the doctor's sonogram is reviewed and the gender is determined, the nurse puts the typical sonogram portfolio and a note, "boy" or "girl" as appropriate, into an envelope and seals it.  The new parents take the envelope to a bakery and have the baker open it to see which sex it is, and then make a small cake with the insides either pink or blue, while the outside icing is unisex white/green/yellow.  Then at the party they cut the cake open to reveal the baby's gender.


It was a lot of fun watching the faces of the new parents as they got the news.  Even Erica's sister in San Antonio was there via the magic of iPhone live video.  It was interesting watching all the people tweeting and Facebooking as soon as the first sign of pink became visible.  Technological Neanderthal me....I couldn't even manage to take a decent iPhone photo.  Erica wanted a girl so she was ecstatic, while Donnie (I think) wanted a boy, but as they already have Parker, was fine with having a daughter.  


So now I'm going to have a granddaughter, to be looked after quite well, I'm sure, by her older brother and 3 nephews, and her dad, and her granddad, and her......


S

7 comments:

  1. Congrats! Hide your wallet. Wonderful news!!!!!!

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't be long before she's here and wrapping Grandpa around her tiny little thumb. Congratulations. This gender party is new to me but sounds like a great way to share the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great news!!

    Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I still prefer finding out at birth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She'll have all those men under her thumb in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love the gender party. Too bad I don't know any preggers people to harangue into having one...

    Oh, & congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to everyone!

    Having had three boys, I've been rewarded with two very girly, absolutely beautiful granddaughters so far. Just found out another grandbaby is on the way; too early to know whether it's a boy or girl.

    The idea of a party sounds fun. I had never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What good news! Congrats. Nothing like a new baby :). That sounds like a lot of work for a surprise but I imagine it was fun.

    ReplyDelete