Friday, November 4, 2011

Things I don't understand

Actually, there isn't enough time left until the Sun burns itself out and leaves us here sitting in the dark for me to list ALL the things I don't understand, so I've chosen three for your consideration:


Why do New Englanders have trouble with the letter "R"?  They put it places it shouldn't be, and then sometimes leave it out where it belongs.  For example, if New Englanders want to visit our nation's capital, they travel to Warshington.  There's no r in Washington.  And back in '62, JFK blockaded Cubr.  No r in Cuba, either.  But then they pronounce "car" as "kaa", and "yard" as "yaad".  Why is that?


Vests.  I don't understand them.  Did somebody long ago actually think, "Ya know, my torso is freezing, but my arms are toasty warm.  I think I'll invent a puffy goose down coat that will cover ONLY my torso, but leave my arms uncovered."  Really?  Maybe it's just me, but when I'm cold, I'm cold all over at the same time.  It's not like my belly is in the Yukon and my arms are in Cubr....er....Cuba.


And finally, why do Indian people (at least those living in America) wear sandals in the winter?  Yesterday morning it was in the 30's and I saw an Indian gentleman all bundled up with a coat and hat, long pants, and sandals.  I can understand wearing sandals in India in the winter as it usually stays pretty warm there year round (I think), but we have seasons in America.  His body from the ankles up was cold, but his feet were hot?  Could it be that an Indian guy invented the vest mentioned above?  He had a cold torso and legs, but warm arms and feet?  *strange dude*


I'll share plenty more things I don't understand later.  Until then, have a great weekend everyone.  ;)


S

7 comments:

  1. Actually, my body parts do respond differently to varying temperatures. My torso gets cold but I generally wear short pants no matter how cold it gets. My legs never get cold. People tell me I'm nuts when the snow comes and they're all wrapped up. Maybe I have some Eskimo blood in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one for you: think of the various names for a soft drink around the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing about accents... why do Germans have trouble with the "th" sound? (We want to pronounce it like an "s.")

    When I married my ex, I was still very conscious of my accent and always worked hard to say things correctly. I guess I was nervous during the wedding vows. I said, "...in thickness and hells."

    No wonder it didn't work out.

    Things I don't understand: why do Americans drive on parkways but park in driveways? Why does "good" and "mood" not rhyme?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce....interesting. I can think of pop, soda, soda pop, fizzy water, coke (used genereically)....Help me out with some more.


    So, Stephen, were YOU the guy who invented the vest? You get any royalties off them? ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peeper....What was it George Bernard Shaw said about the Americans and the English? "Two peoples separated by a common language." I don't think either would claim me, though. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do New Englanders have trouble with the letter "R"?

    LOL!!!! I can't talk, my southern accent is horrible, so much I am often quiet around strangers.

    And finally, why do Indian people (at least those living in America) wear sandals in the winter?

    LOL!!!! That one is easy for me, army boots destroyed my feet. I wear sandals just about year round because they are the only footwear that does not hurt my feet. Plus, I am a beach bum after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a puffy vest somewhere, but I don't use it any more. I do not, however, own sandals. I don't have a pwobwem with the lettuh ahh.

    ReplyDelete