Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Marketing gone terribly wrong

I remember one cold winter day a few years ago I went looking for my gloves and couldn't find them.  Just buy some new ones....simple fix, right?  Au contraire.  I found that most department stores had already put away their gloves, in fact nearly all their winter stuff, and replaced them with bathing suits and other warm-weather items.  

That makes no sense to me.  Why would you want to buy something you couldn't wear for 5 or 6 months? I buy something now, I wear it now.  My spousal unit, of course, saw this as making perfect sense.  You buy winter long johns and down jackets in July, and bathing suits in January, she said.  Huh? She explained stores want to get the jump on their competitors so they begin showing their "pre-season" stuff earlier and earlier each year.  I'm thinking eventually they're going to get a full year ahead of themselves, meaning they'll have next winter's gloves on sale this winter.  I wish they'd hurry.  Then my world can be right again.

And stores/malls always seem to put up their Christmas decorations earlier and earlier, too.  They're showing us snow scenes and we're still mowing the yard!  Actually, this year they were up before Halloween.  Jeez!  Everyone except Nordstroms, that is.  Nordstroms has said they would not decorate their stores for Christmas until after Thanksgiving?  They say they want to celebrate one season at a time.  At last, some sanity.  Good for ya, Nordstroms!  

S


5 comments:

  1. Two words for you.

    Online Shopping

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a few years ago, Bobby. Now I probably buy 2/3 of my stuff online. Free shipping and no state sales tax...the savings add up. Just heard that Macy's profits doubled in the most recent quarter, attributable to more online sales.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas deco here already, too. And soon our Christmas markets open! geeez

    I avoid online shopping whenever I can. I prefer to be able to "touch" anything I buy before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem is . . who can afford to shop at Nordstrom's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The year before last we got snowed in and the only presents I could buy were those I purchased after hiking through the snow and ice to Rite Aid, a quarter of a mile away. I didn't need to spend much but we still had a great Christmas. I was so glad to find a place open that I didn't even notice the decorations. Sue still loves the Ove Glove I bought her.

    ReplyDelete