Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm confused....and amused

This past weekend we set our clocks back an hour.  This is fine with me as I love to burrow down in my blanket, snuggle with my honey, and catch a few more Zzzzz's.  It's the "lose an hour" part in the spring that I hate.  What confuses me is why do we do it?  Now I can go to work and the sun is already up, making for an easier commute, but I'm coming home in the dark.  Is that an improvement?  Remember the old saying:  "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it on to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."  Time is going to do what time does, regardless of how we try to dress it up.  There is more daylight in the summer, and less in the winter.  It's just the way it is.


Our local news media is doing their darndest to create a story this morning.  For several days the weatherguessers have been forecasting severe weather today.  Sure enough there is a line of storms west of Foat Wuth headed this way.  Big whoop.  There are no warnings, just some rain.  It will blow through in a half hour or so, then behind it the skies will clear and we'll have a glorious autumn day.  But the TV stations have activated their "Team Coverage" with reporters scattered all around town to report on the approaching cataclysm.


It reminds me of the time my neighbor, who was a volunteer at the emergency management center at city hall, called me to say all excitedly, "The net is up!", referring to the storm spotter network he and his ham radio buddies were in.  So to appease him I tuned in on my airband radio and this is what I heard:


NG740, this is DJ358.


Go ahead, DJ358


Yeah, I'm at highway 78 and Castle Dr.  Over


Roger, highway 78 and Castle Dr.


It's raining now, estimate half an inch an hour.  Over


Roger, raining half an inch an hour.  Thanks for that report DJ358.


I'm sure some goober was back at city hall religiously plotting all these reports on a giant wall-sized map so forensic scientists would later be able to analyze the inland tsunami that engulfed us, but I was ROFLMAO!  Sort of like I am now watching "Team Coverage" of the approaching rain.


It's obviously a slow news day, which really isn't a bad thing.


S

3 comments:

  1. we also have those half-yearly discussions about the time change over here, too. Did you know that Russia decided NOT to do it anymore? They are staying on summer time now permanent.

    We have been having a beautiful, unusual, and dry fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that Benjamin Franklin came up with the idea for daylight savings. Back in the day we were an agricultural society and the change gave farmers more daylight to bring in their crops. Maybe this is an urban legend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to set back the clocks an hour EVERY weekend!

    ReplyDelete