Sunday, August 4, 2013

Cars and Coffee, August, 2013

HOT!  Yesterday was Cars and Coffee first Saturday and it was HOT!  Because it was so HOT attendance was noticeably below normal.  And those that brought their nice cars were all crankin' 'em and leaving by 9:30 because it was so HOT!  Did I mention it was HOT?

I honestly didn't even get to walk the whole parking lot because while I was only half way through the mass exodus began.  Sorry for the abbreviated photo display this month.  :(



First thing I saw when I arrived was this BMW Z4 M Coupe.  I personally wouldn't tacky my car up with decals like this, but I must say he had a sense of humor.


Looks like he's overdosed on BMW's Kool-aid, too.


The local VeeDub Club was there in force.  A very nice 1970 (?) Beetle Cabrio.


Notice the original owner checked all the option boxes, too.  Look....a radio!



This was an early flat-screen (windshield) model.  Absolutely mint!


I suppose this nice BMW 2002 from Nevada was just passing through.  I'm glad he stopped and shared his car with us.



This is apparently becoming a big deal:  People are mounting these GoPro cameras on their cars so they can record their driving exploits.  I'm thinking of getting one, too.  "Here I am waiting in line at In-n-Out burgers, and here I am on my way to the SuperTarget...."

A couple of interesting vintage Porsche's caught my eye:



A 356 Cabrio....


....and a Continental.  Notice the location of the gas cap.  How odd.

Ahhh....the Italians.



A 1972 Ferrari Dino GT.  This didn't actually carry the Ferrari badge as it was meant to be an entry level (6-cylinder) model, unlike the powerful 12-cylinder "true" Ferrari's of the day.  (Enzo Ferrari was very touchy about things like that.)



An early '70's (?) Ferrari Daytona Spyder. *still drooling*


A bit out of sequence....This Porsche Carrera GT is an incredible performance car, but to me it just looks clinical...cold...brutal.


Now compare that to this Ferrari 458 Italia...curvy...sensual...like a beautiful woman...who could still kick your ass!  ;)


Even the badge is sexy.

And now for my Car de Jouir:  Because of it's uniqueness I chose....


....this 1930 Studebaker.  I remember the old Studebaker Avanti's and Lark's and such from my yoot, but I'd never seen a Studebaker this old.  The current owner bought it from a 94-year-old man who had it for 60 years!



I always thought the steamer trunk on the back was just for storage, but it turns out the gas filler is inside that box.  And the gas gauge is a dip-stick.  (Wouldn't all your stuff smell like gas?)


Now here's some automotive trivia for you:  See that little round red piece of glass on the side of the Studebaker's headlight?  That was on the left (port) side, and a matching green light was on the side of the right (starboard) headlight, just like navigation lights on a ship or plane.  Who knew?

Maybe Coffee and Cars next month will enjoy cooler weather and better attendence.  Fingers crossed.  (Missed you Robert.  Hope to see you there in September.  :)

Have a great day everyone.

S

Oh yeah....


Bazinga!


12 comments:

  1. I second your vote on the Studebaker.

    Love the old Porsche - like someone stepped on a VW bug (I know, same designer)

    I owned a '68 bug...never could figure out the complicated instrument panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the immaculate interior restoration of the older cars like the VW to be just stunning.

    Puma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Puma. Are you blogging here now? I'd love to come visit.

      Delete
  3. Hi Scott! Yep, just too hot for me yesterday. My brother and I bought a red '62 VW ragtop to go college in '67. Got it for $600 and it looked just like that except I don't remember turn signals/parking lights on top of the fenders. The interior was the same except ours had a self-installed option. Since the top leaked and it rained all winter in Baton Rouge, we drilled holes in the floor to let it drain. Otherwise we had a mobile wading pool. :}

    And back in about '85 I got a chance to buy a '62 Porsche 356 for $10K. Couldn't pull the trigger. Oh well.

    Enjoyed the pics. I'm planning on the September show.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's this for auto-expertise: I actually like the yellow car better than the red one. And that's as detailed as I can get :)

    I do remember my Aunt Lila driving me to 1st grade in her VW bug - I thought she was the bees knees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see the German cars were well represented!

    As for the GoPro camera being mounted on a car, I think this will become the next big thing. Many cars in Russia already have these mounted on the dashboard. Since corruption and scams run rampant, the footage recorded by these cameras often helps to prove one's innocence in case of an accident or a corrupt policeman writing an (undeserved) ticket.

    I wouldn't mind having the Fiat. Or the GoPro. Or at least a cup of coffee... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red Ferraris are sooo mainstream :-) I prefer the yellow ones, too. I saw a Fiat 500 Abarth the other day. I could handle owning one of those, if I could handle affording one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of these pictures make me miss my '68 Beetle. I loved that car.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's wonderful can you please share some more stuff regarding my car financing in houston

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffee and cars are definitely like Disneyland for all car lovers. Just by looking at all the pictures makes me want to experience it. I have the same hopes for the coffee and cars this September. And that is for the weather to be fair, as I have seen in the news it's going to be a little cloudy this coming Friday. → Ava @ EliteToyota.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the photos! It's nice to know that car collectors spared their cars for the show. We can see not only a parade of great cars, but also their rich history and amazing designs. The car industry has evolved over time and we're lucky to have these auto shows to get a glimpse of history and learn more about them.

    Ashely @ Infinitiofannarbor.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that red Ferrari! It feels great to attend car shows like this, so you can be informed of the rich history of cars. We might have high-tech cars in the market today, yet it's best to see these vintage cars and know their specs. Moreover, car lovers can use these vintage cars as inspiration for the new car that they'll purchase.

    Nannette Henriquez

    ReplyDelete