Friday, August 2, 2013

Statistics don't lie. Well, SOMETIMES they don't lie.


Recently several of my friends...Stephen at Chubby Chatterbox and Bruce at Oddball Observations....looked back on their blogging stats and shared what they found.  They both are a pleasure to read and deserve their success.  I never paid much attention to mine, so I thought I'd peek and see what lurked in my numbers.

This is my 824th post here at Blogger.  Up to this morning I've had 96,385 pageviews.  Almost all were from the US, with Germany, Canada, the UK, Australia, the Netherlands, China, France, Ukraine, and Serbia rounding out the rest.  I suspect the ones from Russia, China, Ukraine, and Serbia were those who just spread spam.  I think the rest were probably legitimate.  

My most read post was one titled "Reality TV....the race to the bottom" with 483 pageviews.  Like everyone I throw out some fluff pieces, too....you know, posts about cars and clouds and such.  But I also like to put out some discussing current events and editorial pieces that hopefully make people think....and disagree.  I enjoy hearing differing opinions.  They make ME think.

Before this I participated on Journal Space, which contained a remarkable group of writers and readers.  It went abruptly kaput so I have no idea what my numbers were.  As best I can recall they were up in the several hundred thousands.  One in particular stands out:  It was the first "conversation" I ever had with my future wife, K.  :)

I also read and post on Facebook, but frankly, that site is pretty bland.  It seems to me it's the site people go to who don't want to think.  But if you want a killer cupcake recipe or a picture of a cute puppy*....  ;)

Thanks to those who put up with me.

S

*Don't get me wrong, I like eating a good cupcake and playing with a cute puppy, but it just doesn't make for very stimulating conversation.

13 comments:

  1. Wow I hardly have any posts get over 100 views let alone up to almost 500.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to rack up the page views, you should include a picture of a pair of women’s breasts, which for some reason are enduringly popular. On Journalspace I found that a photo of Kelly Brook rather coyly cupping her breasts in her hands got the most. It also got the greatest variety of sources, from the University of Ulaanbaatar to the Pentagon (no, I’m not joking).

    Not that I’m suggesting you try it, of course! I merely mention it in order to contribute something intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most appreciated Simon. Now I'm wondering how many of those "pageviews" from the US were really just our NSA keeping track of me?

      Delete
  3. Put "Old Man" "Boy" and "Sex" in the title and watch the hits from Saudi Arabia light up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw quite a spike in views when I posted about Paris Hilton. The photo showed me standing at the curb, waiting for a taxi. The magnificent Eiffel Tower loomed in the background. I also included a shot of the lobby.It was a nice hotel.

      Delete
  4. I remember once on JS I photographed the Norwegian cruise liner Dawn off Easthampton and posted the photos on JS. Then I went to a super-active cruise website and linked my blog. The hits were in the thousands and it shot me to the top of the ranking, even ahead of the Delta Stewardess (Queen of Everything) who was the initial reason I found JS in the first place.

    I really am leery of the book of faces and all it represents, but my own blog has fallen into severe disuse.

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are times when I think playing with a puppy while eating a cupcake far more preferable than a conversation. But those experiences are hard to share. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your facebook is different from my husband's facebook. He's always getting in a fight with someone & sending himself to time out! On the other hand, I like mine controvery-free. :)

    You guys have inspired me to check out my own stats, which are just ok I reckon (977 posts with almost 80,000 page views). My most viewed post was from this past November 30th - it got 538 page views, had a picture of the moon & said exactly this:

    "Woot – I made it! All this senseless posting shall now come to an end. Now we can get back to my more random, yet thought-provoking posts. Yes – quality, not quantity shall now prevail!

    Ha! I crack myself up.

    Have a great weekend everyone!"

    LOL - so apparently it's better when I don't talk. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoy the blog and made a new friend. Tomorrow is C&C, but with the heat I think I'll pass, and hope September is tolerable.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  8. The great thing about the numbers is when you comment on someone else's blog they tend to come to yours to check you out. And it grows, like lichen on the side of an abandoned house in Kentucky. (Huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should check out my own statistics...now I'm curious.

    I remember the first blog I ever read was Joan Perry's, when we still lived in South Carolina. Years later, I decided to start my own blog; we lived in Florida by then and I wanted to keep my friends and family up to date. My five-year blog anniversary is coming up soon.

    Fun stuff, this blogging bit. Facebook is fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my blogging days are pretty much over.....I start one and then let it fall to the wayside...."ain't got no time for that" .... well really it feels like a burden.

    Facebook I enjoy - I keep up with my friends with it...no I don't want to have dinner with you, no I don't want to have coffee or drinks, don't invite me to any parties....let's just hang out on Facebook. When I do make myself go to "invited to events" I have a good time .... but I never initially want to go...Facebook and Twitter are perfect for ppl like me.

    I also use tumblr [kelspark.tumblr.com] .... It's called "microblogging" but you can write more lengthy stuff there too ...basically on tumblr you post your own stuff but then also "repost" other's content that you find interesting ... check out my tumblr if you like ... but be warned if you think I am weird now - my tumblr may scar you for life ... I don't censor myself there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My most popular post is something I wrote about goth kittens, but given that it has about 18,000 hits, as opposed to the next most popular that only has about 1000, I'm going to assume it has more to do with spammers than about people's burning need to know about goth kittens.

    ReplyDelete