Tuesday, August 20, 2013

So much for being Mr. Nice Guy


This shows just some of my muscles that are sore this morning.

Sorry for being AWOL yesterday, but I did a good deed and I'm paying the price for it this morning.  My daughter and SIL need some work done at their house, so I arranged for my trim carpenter to help them out.  He's only charging them 1/2 price....very nice of him.  To say thanks I thought I'd jump in and help him on the project he's on now and make his life a bit easier.

I used to do little manual labor things like this regularly to help out if one of my subcontractors was short-handed for a few days.  I used to be younger.  I used to be in better shape.  I think the only part of me still in fighting trim today is my smart-aleck mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"We just can't have nice thangs!" 

The news reported today that actor/comedian Dick Van Dyke was driving his new Jaguar when he began hearing strange noises under the hood, then it burst into flames.  Passers-by got the 87-year-old Van Dyke out uninjured.

A friend of mine bought one just like this a year ago.  He took it on a cross-country trip and it broke down in Tennessee (?).  They gave him a temporary loaner to finish his trip, then called him a month later and finally admitted they couldn't fix it.  Jaguar gave him another new one, and after just a few months it broke, too.  Last I heard he was negotiating with Jaguar to get his money back.

The old joke was that you'd be lucky to get your new Jag home from the dealer without the aid of a tow truck.  Then things got better.  Now they're apparently back in the toilet.  It seems "quality" is just another obscure word in Jaguar's dictionary.  My one word for you:  DON'T BUY ONE.   (OK then, three words.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh no!  My regular Friday night hang-out (after a nice evening meal out) is in danger of closing.  The big bookstore chain Barnes and Noble lost $87M yesterday, or maybe it was last quarter.  Whatever.  How am I going to know what books I want to buy from Amazon if I don't have a Barnes and Noble to browse through first?  

Ummm....

S


9 comments:

  1. ...and you hate Half Price Books

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's a good thing I'm too poor to be able to buy a Jaguar. Maybe your smart aleck mouth can convince the wife to give your sore muscles a rubdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so I'll just cross the Jag off my list...like PT, can't afford it anyway...still love the xke.

    Here is my tip for heavy lifting, bend at the knees, not the back, then put your ass in a chair and tell young people where to put stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice dad! This is one reason I wish my dad lived closer - so I could take advantage of him too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jags ... Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaguar has always had a reputation for spending more time in the shop than most cars, but this high profile incident with Dick van Dyke isn't going to help matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I know how you feel. It's how I felt after my last Pilates class, except my house didn't look any better or prettier. Come to think of it, neither did I.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Jaguar apparently didn't fare any better than my Ford Pinto. 'Course in my case it was one of those New Year's Eve collisions that nearly tore the front end off. Taught me a lesson anyway.

    ReplyDelete