Friday, August 9, 2013

Let's talk "thongs"

Yeah, I thought that would get your attention.  Sorry to disappoint, but I was thinking more of thong sandals.

I'm pretty sure "thong" is an old Indian word that means "stuck between two body parts that you really don't want something stuck between".  (That's why, except for that one tribe in northern California, old Indians didn't wear lointhongs.)


One thing I must admit I do look forward to every summer are all the ladies putting on their thong sandals.  They look much cooler than shoes and, quite frankly, are super sexy.



Whether dressed up....


....or dressed down, IMO women generally look nice in sandals.  Some men *ahem* even have a near-fetish about them.


Men also wear sandals in the summer to stay a little cooler, but they usually don't pull off the look as well.  Let's be honest, unlike women's feet, men's feet just aren't that sexy.


Men don't like dirt in their shoes, or their sandals.  It drives us nuts!  If there's a bunch of loose dirt or gravel or mud around, chances are good a man will find it and step in it.  Women on the other hand rarely if ever find loose gravel or mud while trooping around inside Sak's 5th Avenue or Target.

Every few years I get it in my head that a pair of sandals would be my footwear of choice for the summer, so I buy some.  A week later they're usually in the back of my closet.  For one thing, I don't like all those straps criss-crossing my feet.  They chafe.  And they look dorky.

But back to the theme of this post....


....thongs.  

How does anyone put up with that little strap of leather or plastic stuck between their toes?  It drives me absolutely nucking futs!  It's like having something sticky on my hands or a rogue moustache hair that does a 180 and tries to climb up my nose. 

Well, this is one of those "every few years", so I recently bought me some cheapo sandals....


So far they're tolerable.  Comfortable, actually.  I'll take that as a sign that maybe I've mellowed a bit in my old age.  But they're still not thong sandals.  I doubt I'll ever mellow that much.  :)

S


8 comments:

  1. I like the "beach sandals," I can not do a thong. As far as sexy on a lady...not so much to me. I prefer six inch heels, covered toed and straps up the ankle. There is something sexy about a lady who is willing to be as uncomfortable as hell just to catch a man's eye. Not that I ever really notice such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But as soon as they get your eye, and your ring, they usually trade in those six inch heels for some fuzzy slippers. ;)

      Delete
  2. Fuzzy penguin slippers in my case! (Actually - they were a gag gift from my mom at my lingerie shower - ha!).

    I used to not be able to tolerate thong sandals, but I guess I've mellowed in my old age too. Or maybe they're more comfortable than they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's only one type of thong I like, and i bet you can guess where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've probably got 10 pairs of "flip flops" in my closet right now! (Had to change the name from "thongs" for my daughter's generation.) And, I'll have you you know I was wearing them when I GOT the ring, lol! It's not the shoes that count! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't/can't do flip flops, thongs, or high heels. I do have some mean penny loafers and a few Birkenstocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wore thongs/flip flops for a summer two years ago....but now for some reason my toes rebel at such a thought .... personally I'm a "I will wear what I want I don't care what you think" - Croc wearer and proud of it I might add

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to LOVE my crocs, but now that the menopause is in full swing I actually have hot feet for the first time in my life & the crocs are too warm. Ooh - maybe I'll wear them this winter with no socks! (I do still love my croc flip-flops.)

      Delete