Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The kind of Monday that gives Mondays a bad name....

That's what I had yesterday.  I covered work for my bro while he played in the local Homebuilder's Association Golf Tournament.  The profits go to a charity, and since he plays golf and I don't, I figure covering for him is my contribution to the cause.  

When I say he "plays" golf, that's probably a stretch.  He whacks at the ball and occasionally makes contact.  Me....I can't even do that.  I've tried, but honestly it frustrates me no end.  

Despite the fact that golf just bores me to tears, I can usually hold my own until I get to "that" hole.  You know the one I'm talking about....every course has one.  I'm talking about *wait for it*  >>>>
               










....the dreaded windmill.  Grrrrr!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But back to work:  The electricians showed up late, and when they finally arrived they brought a new guy with them.  Actually he worked for them 5 years ago and was an absolute f__k up.  I was glad to see him go.  But now with the local economy again hitting on all cylinders, and with labor hard to come by......heeeeeee's baaaaaaack.  *Ugh*  And despite the extra hand, they still didn't get finished.

Then a new building inspector showed up to give us a  plumbing final inspection.  Here's the problem with inspectors and building codes:  Every inspector interprets it differently.  Something one inspector insist on another expressly prohibits.  

This guy wants the fancy, high-dollar outdoor grill installed now.  We usually wait until right before the homeowner moves in so as not to tempt thieves.  Then he wants the pool company plumber to come do something-or-other.  I asked him why that was my problem?....let the pool company address that at their inspection.  *sigh*

*In my best Rodney King whine* Why can't we all just get on the same page?  

All this in 100 degree heat.  I couldn't have been any wetter if I'd fallen in the pool.  I need these inspections in order to get the utilities turned on.  With utilities comes air conditioning.  You watch....as soon as we get the A/C turned on it will turn nice and autumn-like and we won't need A/C.  Another Murphy's Law / Scott's Corollary.

Oh well.  It just made my glass of wine that much more special when I finally made it back home for the evening.

A more sedate, less frustrating Tuesday would be sincerely appreciated.

S



5 comments:

  1. Building inspectors, the perfect example of the problems with government. Without them you contractors (some) would run amuck. THere would be no standards. However the very nature of their job allows for graft, bribery and incompetence.

    Who inspects the inspectors? As a consumer I prefer having inspectors even though I know it ultimately makes for higher prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, building inspectors are definitely necessary. Many builders, just like you said, would build things that could barely stand up if there weren't codes and inspectors. Graft? I'm sure it happens in many places (Chicago?), but honestly, in my 40 years of building, I've never been solicited for a bribe, and I certainly haven't offered one. Things are pretty much on the up-and-up here.

      The problem is the eggheads who write the codes know nothing about actually building anything. All their knowledge is simply theoretorical. The code is either vague, or so complex only someone with an engineering degree can understand. The problem is the CODE.

      Delete
  2. I learned long ago that the best way to make a shot through the windmill is to calculate your timing to HIT the windmill blades. If you try and hit them you'll miss and the ball will go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm reading this at nearly noon on Tuesday - I'm hoping that your day so far has been MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Your contribution to charity was bigger than your brother's.
    2. Schedule the building inspector to come out on a Friday. Afternoon. 4:30-ish would be good.

    ReplyDelete