Monday, August 5, 2013

I'd make a lousy vegetarian


Last night I grilled these two prime NY strips.

I come from a long line of carnivores.  When I was a kid my parents and neighbors got together almost every Saturday evening and grilled steaks.  Even us kids had our little tiny steaks.  Graduating to being able to use your very own steak knife was considered a right of passage.  I would say that was a right proper upbringing.

We always had a baked potato and salad with our steaks....no substitutions.  I hate it when I go to a nice steak house today and they serve my steak with asparagus or some other atrocity on the same plate.  IMO that's a crime against humanity, or at least against a true carnivore.  It would be like serving sauerkraut with ice cream.  Surely that's prohibited somewhere in the Geneva Convention, right?

We know now that too much red meat isn't good for you, and we certainly don't have it every day, but a couple of times a week keeps me happy.  A steak this nice is an every-few-weeks event.  

As a "live and let live" peace offering to all those vegetarians among us, I am donating my share of the world's asparagus crop to them with my best wishes.  Bon appetit.  

A reciprocal gesture of good will would be appreciated.  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of herbivores, did you hear what our government security people are doing with some of our embassies in Africa and the Mid-East?  They closed them through next weekend due to an imminent terrorist threat.

So who is dumber, our security folks for announcing when our embassies will re-open, or al Qaeda for not simply postponing their attacks until next week?

If they ask, just tell 'em it's a potato.

I'd call it a toss up.

S


10 comments:

  1. I suppose after all the crap over Benghazi they're just being careful, though the simplest solution would be to close our embassies there permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that is a good point!

    I'm with you, a good steak deserves a baked potato.

    You might want to brush up a bit on your grill marks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Few things are better than a properly grilled steak. But lately I've been grilling pork chops and they turn out so much better than frying them. As for our Embassies, the enemy already won bu revealing how week we are and how easily we fold our tents and close shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eating asparagus even now! How's that for synchronicity! I'm having mine with chicken though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say "I'm from Texas: I'm a beef lubber!" I just don't "get" Calamari and I'm not afraid to say so! If you're taking me out to dinner, I'm not going to go for the Sea Bass, give me a great steak, a great baked potato (with butter and sour cream handy) and a great salad, preferably with at least partial iceberg lettuce, and full fat dressing. No, I don't eat this way all the time, and yes, I know seafood is heart healthy, I know, I know, I know!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall send all the steak that isn't at my house, in exchange for you sending all the asparagus that isn't at your house to me.

    Tell ya, it's the perfect yin and yang. Who says we can't all get along... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine whirled peas. No, wait....I don't like peas either. They're all yours. ;)

      Delete
  7. I love asparagus but, to misquote Shel Silverstein, "after you've had beans for awhile, steak, steak tastes fine!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer my steak medium rare with a loaded baked potato except sour cream along with some grilled asparagus. Nicely accompanied by a good red wine. Grill marks are nice but not required!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete