Friday, August 16, 2013

The biggest mis-match of all time....


No, this is not a post about my sense of fashion.

This morning I took Luke the Wonderdog out for his usual morning stroll around the 'hood.  HIS hood, or so he thinks.  Seems he hasn't yet noticed he's a Yorkshire terrier weighing in at a mere solid 8 pounds.  There are some regulars we see every day out walking, too, like Oliver the bulldog, Angel the little fluffy "thing", The Lady Who Won't Talk To Anyone and her long-haired dachshund, and a few others.  They all pay their respects to Luke, and he lets them use his sidewalk.   Vivre et laisse vivre.

Today there was a new kid on the block, a Mastiff.  He was HUGE!  And yes, it was most definitely a "he".  I didn't have my camera with me, but as best I can remember he looked something like this:


He was on the other side of the street checking out the smells of his new neighbors when he and Luke spotted each other at the same time.  Luke immediately widened his stance and stood a 1/4" taller as though saying, "Did I say you could look at me?  Did I?"


The stare-down lasted a good minute.  I don't know if the Mastiff actually blinked first or if he just really, really had to go pee, but he broke things off and went looking for a suitable tree, and Luke went back to sniffing bugs, about the only things outside that are smaller than him.  

One of these days I'm gonna have to sit Luke down and explain to him how the jungle works, but for today at least, I was proud of the boy.  :)

Happy Friday everyone!

S



7 comments:

  1. Didn't the mouse beat the elephant in the old fables? Or did it just get stepped on? It is amazing how tenacious those little dogs can be. It's like a blowfish puffing itself up to ward of predators I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My understanding is the bigger the dog the more mellow it is. I guess big dogs feel they don't have anything to prove. A man in our neighborhood has an Irish wolf hound. Ugly as sin and big enough for a saddle, but the sweetest dog you'll ever meet, except for Luke the Wonderdog of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Luke - he DOES own the sidewalk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Royce rules Ryker with an Iron paw. I can't even believe it! Ryker is Mr. Mellow. However, I do believe ZAO would have had Royce for a snack in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being more of a cat person I don't know much about dogs, but reading this had me grinning from ear to ear. You go, Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Mastiff wouldn't hurt a flea, unless Luke decided to bite his owner...that would be very bad!

    ReplyDelete