Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cars and Coffee, March 2012

Today was the first Saturday in March, so you know what that means....CARS AND COFFEE!  I met my friends Neil, Frank, and Ron there at 7:30 this morning, but we were NOT the first ones to arrive.  About a thousand cool cars beat us there.  Yes, there was the usual assortment of new exotica such as every Ferrari currently being offered for sale, and all the new Maserati's, Lamborghini's, Bentley's and Roll's, too.  BMW's and Mercedes', Lexus', Mustang's, Camaro's and 'Vette's we're a dime a dozen.  But for some reason I'm always drawn to the old, rare, characterful, and just downright odd cars. (NOTE:  Click on any photo below to enlarge.)




The Mini lineup.  (As the rest weren't leaking I'm assuming they were already empty.)


A really sweet Austin Healey 3000 Mk III.


The aristocracy of the show.


An award winning Alfa Romeo Montreal.


For you muscle car guys (and gals) how 'bout a Plymouth Road Runner Superbird?


Surf's up!


Old cars, like old guys, RULE!  


I came within a hair of buying one of these (Porsche 911) ACBK.  (After College, Before Kids)


But if I had to pick my favorite of all those I saw today, I'd choose this BMW Z8 Alpina.




Yep, this is the one I would have liked to take home with me....


....but unfortunately this old Rover is the only one my budget could afford.  Such is life.  *sigh*

Drive safely everyone.  :)

S



9 comments:

  1. Once upon a time when I had a little extra to spend, I test drove a porsche myself, and was very underwhelmed. They asked me what I was currently driving (Mazda RX-7) and they claimed most drivers of Japanese cars didn't like porsches for some reason. More recently, I went to a test track at the old Westhamton Airbase and did some driving on a course with them, but still don't have the bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry---above by fin.

    And thanks for sharing the nice photos. You'd likely enjoy the 'cruisin' the coast' thing they have here every year, with literally thousands of entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you guys just sit around and look at each other's cars? Sounds as exciting as the "Dream Cruise" here in August when a bunch of old cars go driving down a stretch of road as a parade. Cars are way more fun to drive and open the throttle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this entry reminds me of ole Scribby... haven't heard anything from him in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our son CJ is the car buff in he family and I look forward to shaing your post with him on his next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that sleek black Healy. Something about that era in sports cars calls to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's just something about BMWs that makes my heart pound a little faster. My sister in Munich lives just a few miles from the BMW headquarters there and at each visit I just have to take a picture of the building.

    However, if I realistically had to pick a car for myself, I'd probably pick a Mini from the top photo. A red one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want an original Mini.
    Nice shots, S. Not much to see where I live, and car shows are rare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird looks so cool in different and dazzling colors. Its photos from the internet are also spreading… prolly because of how pleasant they look. Blue, green, orange and yellow are the most common colors of this car. Seeing a purple one here is atypical, but great!

    ReplyDelete